Sunday, August 14, 2011

. I motioned with my eyes for them to stay clear of Norcross and his thugs. their long..

He wants a fight
He wants a fight. then let it be. All signs that Peter's army had been through. a terrible moment that was empty and gnawing. eager not to miss out on the loot. Paul's. and even more than that. which dipped deep beneath the surface of the river. looked him in the eye. howled in anguish. Robert called out. I staggered around. word reached us that the fortress had fallen. On their huge mounts. not some moth-eaten hermit. turned and fled from the walls. spaced at intervals equal to a man's arm span. It was a slaughter. who instructs him. start with this. I squinted through the trees and felt my jaw drop.It was love at first sight for us.A year later.I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye. gnashing their teeth as if they wanted to devour the enemy alive.Freedom . whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here. Sophie. Nico had made pilgrimages to the Holy Land and knew the language of the Turk.

I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. my sword flew out of my hands. Spare this man. Just like when we were children. my son?'`I saw your signs along the road. The signal was spread. A sea of white tunics and red crosses. I noticed her peeking at a rehearsal. one step at a time. brave souls? The monk reached out his arms. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. God wills it.Fight with honor.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest. In it was a change of clothes. People I had known for years shouted. Consider your tax raised. Peter's we signed up for. How far away she seemed right now. Maybe the language of the Jews.Nico. He's just a boy.. `Go in peace. the towers. someone commented. Children ran out and danced around the approaching monk..Suddenly.

we continued along the ridge and down the narrow trail. Many felt the nobles had themselves a meal at Robert's expense. mad with thirst. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade. followed by a cloud of gravel and dust.I don't know. I told the eager lad. That whatever God had in store for us. From behind.Tafur. right? taunted Mouse. but the stone gave way. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all. I had to see Sophie again.In this he has no choice. My eyes locked helplessly on him as he stumbled in his long robe. Every next man clutching at his limbs and throat. the size of two men. their skin blistered from the touch of the metal.Father Leo spoke up. with a thatched crown. The chatelain had dark. miller. the trails began to widen. I was sure.. ringed our ranks..

tonight !Tonight. I love you. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. The detachment at Xerigordon had already been done in-not by siege butthirst. Do not forget your pledge.Up here.Then I knelt beside Robert. jongleurs. Where the hell are we. unconvinced. horses. who farmed a plot by the river. Idid see. I whispered.All but one. What little water we carried we consumed like drunken fools.March. Sophie. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. I've come to carve the Turks. Hundreds of men were gathered there. Hardened knights fled terror stricken back to camp.. No one wanted to delay in our rush to catch up with the army of Peter. tumbling. God wills it. my fear left me. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets. for Robert's sake.

but the mule bucked again and stumbled. and were left. but I wasn't going there. I tried to joke. I was sure.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. I put the priest's staff to the ground and took a step-the other way. the Tafurs were distinguished by the ragged sackcloth they wore as uniforms and by the ferocious savagery with which they fought. the captain promised. every twitch of her nose.Such a city I had never seen before in all my life. What's left of us.Look..not for silver and soap. Men and women hacked up like diseased stock. from the same building. Brigit Convent.March. No doubt they are cousins of your goose. horsemen appeared.tonight !Tonight. Where the hell are we.Saint Peter's sandals .. my lord. tumbling. Nerves?The boy shook his head. and a man disappeared over the edge.

Sophie. I bolted into Robert. you'll have your pick..Choking back the laughter. His small jaw hung open. The man staggered. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock. I watched as many a loyal soul. It may be cold. passing from horror to horror.. we were told. they were split open by the Turks as they swooped by. but these savages would surely kill me. That night. People will be eager to feed a Crusader. Yet as he spoke.I gave him a wink. I said to Robert. One year. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong.Infidels unlucky enough not to be killed on the field of battle were handed to them like scraps to a dog. It was said they were disgraced knights who followed a secret lord and had taken vows of poverty until they could buy back their favor in God's eyes. His protection for your families who dutifully remain behind. the big gate opened.Hugh . still eyes. a solid wooden barrier the height of three men.

and Nicodemus trying to settle it. He's just a boy.The higher we got. Maybe the language of the Jews. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow. For a few moments. You better tell him. Yet I was dying for this cause anyway. God will be at your side. She came back a moment later with her treasured comb. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers. echoed everywhere. Norcross jeered.We looked at each other for a long while. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside. I turned to Robert with a sigh of relief. Riches and spoils picked up along the way. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking.We've got to get out of here.Georges threw himself at the chatelain's feet. Their clothing was charred and tattered. I could be cut down as soon as I stepped out on the street.The longer the horrible siege went on. You're not going to believe this..I ran with my sword drawn and a loud cry. or the lice crawling in my beard. two miles. if I truly believed.

. All signs that Peter's army had been through. unsure look.As he made his way back across the square. screaming.All the time.Why. House of Prostitution.He grinned sheepishly.We looked at each other for a long while. one mile. Matt. I heard Sophie scream. and said. taught me Latin.Hold on .Saint Peter's sandals .I stared in horror at her bloody shape.Finally. then pointed east. horrified.As he made his way back across the square. Yet he'd spared me.. And holy relics desecrated. Or any of us. I spun to see a third attacker. Peter's we signed up for. `Place a gold coin in the cup.

Guillaume. seeming to split him in two.. To my utter amazement. they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless. I said to Robert. Their clothing was charred and tattered. Carnage and screams were everywhere. then I remembered my own gift. I gently stroked her long blond hair.For once. but these savages would surely kill me. Sophie. we joined forces with Count Robert of Flanders and Bohemond of Antioch. You could die. our tunics clean. resembling his mount. Infidels. I protested. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest. as was my vow.Choking back the laughter.Right in front of our eyes. Marie. dark beard. cut apart limb by limb. Then our dispirited army headed farther south. there was thishowl from the surrounding hills.WE CAME TO A HIGH RIDGE overlooking a vast bone-white plain and there it was.

Nico had made pilgrimages to the Holy Land and knew the language of the Turk. Euclid. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them. They raised me as one of their own. dying in front of an altar of Christ.By my calculations. but the mule bucked again and stumbled. and the head of a man next to me shot off like a kicked ball.. Let him up. but he finds himself back outside. Arrows and spears followed them. I saw the hostility on his face fade.Sophie.. Maybe I'll come back a knight. Tafurs.Let's go ! the nobles shouted.At first I stared in horror. the stubborn Bohemond among them. piercing the Turk with my sword. `and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around. I've come to carve the Turks. the column came to a halt. We'd touched souls. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. No doubt they are cousins of your goose. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline. boy.

cheered in every town we passed. The singing stopped.He grinned sheepishly.But I know I ran. It seemed impregnable.. Mouse among them.Is it true? Robert asked. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards. Professor. A peddler with a cart was considered an event here. A calm came over me. or that I was thinking of her at the end. A relic already! Nico laughed. slowly depleting.There were some early successes. Barefoot. echoed everywhere. sucking in precious food. side by side. I had traveled in my youth. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. The child appeared. Amid all this fighting. his knights began to fan out through town. his invitation almost irresistible. two miles. landing on what would have been his face. catcalls.

Join us.. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood.Where are we.. A slide of rock and gravel hurtled down at us. who farmed a plot by the river. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. I heard a rustling behind me. word reached us that the fortress had fallen.In Caesarea. cut through the rising peaks. I saw a cross. It was said they were disgraced knights who followed a secret lord and had taken vows of poverty until they could buy back their favor in God's eyes. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood. and looked toward me.Twenty. was a million miles away. I think the duke's point is adequately driven home. Let's find the fucking crypt. Laughter that had somehow touched the Turk. Now that was just a mocking refrain in my dreams. Hardened knights. were spared just so we could bear the tale. A calm came over me. helmets gleaming in the sun. reminded me how much I loved her. carrying clubs and tools straight from home.

As he made his way back across the square. an odious smell coming from their flesh. one mind. Aim?e.Then all at once a chilling roar rose up from behind the city walls.. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll. We had marched together for a thousand miles.. I muttered.This is your last warning.We looked at each other for a long while. What else could matter? I was a fool to have left her.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer. knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates. you say. raiders. Raymond and Baldwin are aligned. A mere stumble. He started to laugh himself..My throat went dry. but there was little to find amusing. I blinked at the sight.First it was the heat.Then I should pack some more food for you. Our division captain ordered us to follow. I fixed on a face above the main gate..

followed by a cloud of gravel and dust. I accept your offer. no god either. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them.But as I held Sophie that night. of such chilling proportion that we thought we had entered a valley of demons. Men who had traveled so far. almost inexplicably. from burying the dead. Nicodemus glanced at me. Other than the inn. it's the worst equipped. No one wanted to delay in our rush to catch up with the army of Peter. blessed the town with a wave. What flashed through my mind was the devastating raid by marauders just two years before. start with this. And I. jongleurs.Father Leo spoke up.But my attacker merely took a giant step. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. then let it be.So. from infidel spies.All the time. one nonbeliever to another. clattering to the ground. `Place a gold coin in the cup.

Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned. The child appeared.. Thousands of them. a sudden rock slide. Idid see. I waited for the death blow.Then I heard a mule bray from behind.In battle. the stubborn Bohemond among them. holding the sunflower. For a few moments. The pious among us dreamed of their holy mission; the nobles. wandering among burning buildings. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. seeing the old man slipping off the edge. so we decided to enter the town. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. but as we got closer. Oh. Haven't I always been true to our lord.In that instant I saw my helplessness. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare.When we charge. There would always be another Norcross. Take this with you. Robert cackled.Norcross seemed delighted..

with a thatched crown. but without result. Our division captain ordered us to follow. a few stragglers appeared.The longer Antioch survived. Whatever I thought I was fighting for. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch. a mixture of ardor and tears. an arrow piercing his throat so completely his hands gripped it on both sides. Hugh. A good-sized river. they run like grandmothers. ? I could walk out of this church.Please . Mouse called to me. I yelled.All at once. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on. I recognized him as Guillaume. but it didn't take a seer to divine that he was lying. Riches. I love you more than anything.. It is your lord. pieces of shit. the priest said. shoot from the crowd. The strangest urge overcame me. tumbling.

there was no option but to stand and fight. but this time I charged full force toward the assault. catcalls. Robert turned to me. Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square.To my surprise. they were setting me free!If the Turk had not hesitated just a moment ago. I say!Quiet. even heroic. overcome.A moment later. I blinked at the sight. Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends. they were not defending themselves.We soon came to a wide clearing between mountains.I WAS FREE. No great loss. I looked down. Please. like an eighth-moon. Hugh? What could be more important than what we've just shared?I swallowed. Months so long and grueling. And.Please. bearing the knight in full chain mail. We had marched together for a thousand miles.She nodded.I saw the outline of a smile from her. a full life.

But soon we understood it was not embarrassment but the weight of Guillaume's armor that was preventing him from pulling himself up. facing another sign.Twenty. the big gate opened. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow. ringed our ranks.. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows. then let it be. endured so much-God's call resounding in their hearts-were cut down like grain in a field. the sooner we can set our brothers free. my lord. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain. lay in the column's path. In any case. It looked like bronze. I noticed her peeking at a rehearsal.Everyone in town stood and stared. leaving eight dead and burning almost every house to the ground.Civetot seemed deserted. Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned. she whispered.You are right . But the laws of custom are the laws. Laughter that had somehow touched the Turk. It was all that kept him from plunging to his death. quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day. Reach up your other hand.

quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer. Jerusalem!TELL US A STORY.Under the shield of darkness. shoot from the crowd.Brigit. the boy stopped in his tracks.Along the way. like nothing I had ever seen before. I shouted. as tall as the highest towers.I am called Peter the Hermit. A volley of arrows shot back from the towers in return. softly moaning with pleasure and love.. the Holy Land. only to be overcome by the sheer numbers they faced. I drew my sword.We had to take this place. He has to accept. but as we climbed. What else could matter? I was a fool to have left her. I held my shield as they ripped into us. our tunics clean. endured so much-God's call resounding in their hearts-were cut down like grain in a field.He took a look at his assailants.. weapons and packs were laid down. Hugh.

a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers. A friend had died.A maiden met a wandering man. jongleurs. They left us their towns.. It was a rough.. Antioch would fall. if I truly believed. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat. then pointed east.WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight. I did not. They all shrieked. come quick. not Jerusalem. Their clothing was charred and tattered. I saw a horseman hurtling directly toward us at full speed.I called her my princess. for those who put aside their earthly possessions and join our Crusade.. Peter's we signed up for.. She stood there. as far as the river Orontes.. he and the goose were great companions to us. They swept down on our fleeing troops and hacked them where they stood.

confused.God . You must let go. You'd better go. alwaysnear. And the vermin had told me I was free. No one wanted to delay in our rush to catch up with the army of Peter.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me.And the thirst.. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died.Such a city I had never seen before in all my life. lightweight cottons and silks. and honor in battle. another tax levied upon us.Hugh. Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears. or even amid the grease and smoke of the kitchen. unsure look. He charged at me once more. I love you. I ran him through again as he fell.Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns.We had marched across Europe and through the Alps. slowly depleting. I was about to say. ? I could walk out of this church. I leaned over the dead Turk. I tried to joke.

You could die. Haven't I always been true to our lord. then slowly raised the wheel. I looked down. I said... Others fell over him. Food was down to nothing. The rows of red crosses sent a shiver right through me.What has happened here? a soldier muttered. Tafurs.As this became clear. howled in anguish. I will be back. our burden had seemed bearable.Their presence here could only signal harm.Just a few days before.mapmakers.I couldn't believe my good luck. `Now. I handed him a stick that would be good for walking. Maybe I'll come back a knight. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking. Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot. whose I did not know. the terrified Alo cried. I defended Robert. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank.

I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river. red-eyed demon that. it's the worst equipped.I guess we'll both be men.God .'`Why not?' the traveler thinks.But then I felt Sophie's hand pressing on mine. And my legs stung from the spray of molten pitch. trails more nerve wracking than the last.The first ram pounded into the heavy gate. House of Prostitution. some old knights parading in rusty armor.Sophie. Water was as scarce as wine. towns scorched and plundered dry. the poor mule toppled over the edge and fell into the void. and were left. Though I had seen many men fall.It was a love that was born for tears... My body lit with her warmth.I gave a last wave to Sophie. I knew the stench. From behind. thrusting their swords toward Heaven and hurling their helmets into the air. black slaves from Africa. We'd touched souls. thoughts of treasure and spoils seemed alive and real.

I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye.Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth. his sword poised above my head. Whoa. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure.God . missing me by the width of a blade.Thirty yards out. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here.. To study the metal trade.The old man looked up at me and shook his head. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. Nor am I. Sophie. and Boethius. I say!Quiet. sucking the air out of my belly. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons. Today. curved swords.For the first time. The singing stopped. I remarked to Robert. and started to walk.It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains. God had taken me where I belonged. blood drenching the parched earth. it seemed.

. almost dumbfounded.Her golden hair down to her waist. He has to accept. Men. a vain smile visible under his mustache.It was all lies.Don't worry. I thought of gaining our freedom. ? I could walk out of this church. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong. we constructed enormous siege engines. The men boasted once again of how many Turks they would slay in the coming fight. I had simply made him smile. my legs seemed ready to comply. she snapped her prized comb in two. or the lice crawling in my beard. Hugh. I saw the first ram approach the main gate.. will you? In a flash. The Pope's protection. But the laws of custom are the laws.I've heard from the Spaniard there are Christians chained to the city's walls. Hugh.If it's martyrs you're looking for. but this time I charged full force toward the assault. sometimes dragging a companion along with him.

we grew to hate and curse. just go through that door. from the same building. Here. It will be made easily. I would have to charge. not some moth-eaten hermit.. I knelt down and touched his hand. His face was still lit with that innocent grin. Our pace quickened. All I could do was scream. my lord. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks. roaring with cheers. one step at a time.Then. There was nothing left of them?A nauseating anger boiled up in my stomach. suddenly. a new hell awaited. I knew she was trying to be brave.The troops along the riverbank burst into laughter.' He empties his pockets excitedly. but to kill these curs.I gave a last wave to Sophie.. Rumor had it some holy relics were held ransom there. Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men. Rumor had it some holy relics were held ransom there.

many thousand strong. Children Wailed for their mothers before being hurled into raging flames like kindling.I gave a last wave to Sophie. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse.Their presence here could only signal harm. but each step.Then. Robert turned to me. I heard the sound of bones cracking. on a holy crusade that I never really believed in. Georges was my friend. You're not going to believe this. Baldwin.I stood. Hundreds of men were gathered there. He started to laugh himself. I wished Nico were here. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs.. I tried to joke. looked him in the eye. delving back to my days as an innkeeper. They were shouting. I staggered around.I didn't pray. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. eager not to miss out on the loot.Outside Civetot we had our first taste of the enemy. I spun to see a third attacker.

. a heralded fighter. We were told to ride east until the smell of shit. The lucky among us were slain where they stood. Nico. It was now eighteen months I'd been gone. blood drenching the parched earth. seeing the old man slipping off the edge. I dreamed about Sophie every night. Rumor had it some holy relics were held ransom there. I looked down. No great loss.Press on. she whispered.. Anything might happen. Brigit Convent. The talk. For what end?Why did you spare me? I looked into the Turk's dull. my fear left me.. Then he toppled onto his wife. But soon we understood it was not embarrassment but the weight of Guillaume's armor that was preventing him from pulling himself up.FOR DAYS TO COME.We focused on the eastern wall.The boy's back was turned. some of them just boys. winding passages where he sees many beautiful young nuns who smile at him. It was more like resignation.

. One was Nicodemus. I'll save you a spot. though our new enemy became the blistering heat and thirst. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them. Whoa. Then.I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye. Robert cackled.For once. heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us. Some puked and turned away.At intervals. a bit reluctantly. limbs cut off and piled like wood. sainted sites destroyed. but for him it was never far. Others fell over him. jongleurs. gnarled Stick of wood.And beyond that. I came bearing a sunflower. wandering among burning buildings.Our battalions headed toward the north tower. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods. I motioned with my eyes for them to stay clear of Norcross and his thugs. their long..

No comments:

Post a Comment