Tuesday, May 10, 2011

You dont wear himNo. Then he was quiet.

 said Rinaldi
 said Rinaldi. The fields were green and there were small green shoots on the vines.Thats splendid. How is GordiniHes all right. as I said.In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains. You will please come and make me a good impression on her.Theyll send you to a hospital. I put thumb and fingers into the macaroni and lifted. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. FrancoI am all right. The river ran behind us and the town had been captured very handsomely but the mountains beyond it could not be taken and I was very glad the Austrians seemed to want to come back to the town some time. Stupid.

 We are brothers and we love each other. Inexperienced.What forBecause you are gravely wounded. It was not a pleasant trip to the dressing room and I did not know until later that beds could be made with men in them. You see the point.Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped. He came back with a handful of roasted coffee beans. soldiers would. nights in bed. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut. Hes dead.Here is the American Tenente.Goodnight.

 He took my glass and filled it. she said.You were sweet to tell me. then came the chuh chuhchuh chuh then there was a flash. The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance. she said. isnt heYes. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa.Ill take care of him for you.They cant do anything.Where is the gasoline park nowAt the same place. I decided to go on upstairs.You are crazy.

Four for 105.Outside the post a great many of us lay on the ground in the dark. There was an English there. The drivers were pleased with it and I left them there.Rinaldi picked up the candle. The sun was going down and looking up along the bank as we drove I saw the Austrian observation balloons above the hills on the other side dark against the sunset. It was Miss Ferguson. Then I forgot about him.Thank God I did not become involved with the British. I could look down through the woods and see.Why dont you ride with the transport I asked.What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it.

 He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me. The sun was going down and the day was cooling off. Ive known him before. The mountain that was beyond the valley and the hillside where the chestnut forest grew was captured and there were victories beyond the plain on the plateau to the south and we crossed the river in August and lived in a house in Gorizia that had a fountain and many thick shady trees in a walled garden and a wistaria vine purple on the side of the house. the major said. and tenentecolonello (the little finger). The Englishman broke into voluble and perfect Italian. I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant. And you never know if the girl will really like it.Sure. And come to morrow night. I said.

 They were hospitals beyond the river. I had gone to no such place but to the smoke of cafe and nights when the room whirled and you needed to look at the wall to make it stop. chilblains. At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on. But the Italians had crossed and spread out a little way on the far side to hold about a mile and a half on the Austrian side of the river. darling.You are so modest. said the priest. he said. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. He sat down beside me. They all laughed. Passini said respectfully.

 Two for 132.How do you do Miss Barkley said. Now they have a guard outside his house with a bayonet and nobody can come to see his mother and father and sisters and his father loses his civil rights and cannot even vote. There had been a little town but it was all rubble. This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backward as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with brother officers. with the sun on it. youre very good. I went back and told the drivers I would get them as soon as the food came. He had been in the war in Libya and wore two woundstripes. The offensive was going to start again I heard.You dont need to say a lot of nonsense. bound in leather. No one to lend me money.

No Yes. But if you have had it you know.Whats to stop itIt will crack somewhere.In the legs.Thank God I did not become involved with the British. Why dont you come inHe shook his head. seeing it all ahead like the moves in a chess game. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know. the stump of his leg twitching. Mr. she said. stirred by the breeze. We all got up and left the table.

 I said.Be serious. I thought. Maybe she would.Sit down. These V. Helen Ferguson. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win. They have plenty of girls.What is the differenceA nurse is like a doctor. He brought them over to me. I said. maam.

 capitano (next finger). You havent any fracture. I said I was sorry. I felt something dripping. I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee. Rinaldi came in while I was undressing. No. Inside I saw the head nurse. she said. In the meantime we were all at the mess.Let me feel it. He opened his trunk and took out a bottle. I am just more affectionate.

 Let him go to centres of culture and civilization. And you play it as well as you know how.There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can. Back at the villa I went upstairs to the room. the window open and the sunlight coming into the room. lay asleep on the other bed. I am just more affectionate. You will be decorated.Shes on duty. Mr. We all sang. I handed the canteen back to Passini.You must go on leave at once.

 isnt itQuite. wop. They come back for me. Still I would probably have been killed. I handed the canteen back to Passini. were on the trunk. Always with the girls. They took off my trousers and the medical captain commenced dictating to the sergeant adjutant while he worked. Where did you go and what did you do Tell me everything at once. To your valorous wounds. Tenente Gavuzzi asked. he said in Italian.They have big Skoda guns.

 then it pattered into a stream.Yes. said Manera.Of course they dont. When people realize how bad it is they cannot do anything to stop it because they go crazy. I think not. the major said. Let them keep their sisters in the house.We shook hands and he put his arm around my neck and kissed me. I went on home. He broke off. They take your home. He was the Kings uncle and commanded the third army.

Oh.Whats the matter nowNew rings. I will probably marry Miss Barkley. It would have been much simpler. darling. It was quiet. This machine is no good but the others march.You think notNo. You could stay with my family. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right. It was half of the brigata Basilicata. The earth of the dugout was warm and dry and I let my shoulders back against the wall. Another night when you feel stronger.

 Take a drink. They were laughing. and then a drink of the wine. Ill be wise like you. I myself felt as badly as he did and could not understand why I had not gone.It is very valuable. and tenentecolonello (the little finger). Everybody hates this war. but with the difference between us.Start in to eat.I washed.You dont wear himNo. Then he was quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment