Tuesday, May 10, 2011

We read. You do not really like it.

 Good by
 Good by. We were in the second army. Drink that. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets.Come. It would not rip and I bit the edge of the cloth to start it.In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains. No one to lend me money. looking out of the window of the bawdy house.It is a filthy and vile book. Go on. We go whorehouse before it shuts. It would have been much simpler.

 please.Id really rather. lootenant. We parked the cars beyond a brickyard. He was the Kings uncle and commanded the third army. Signor Tenente. Nobody had mentioned what the stakes were. Didnt you see itNo. holding the cheese.It wasnt that way with the granatieri. He recognized me and waved a forceps.Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians. lifting the spaghetti on the fork until the loose strands hung clear then lowering it into the mouth.

 Could I join nowIm afraid not now. Ive seen your Tenente. fat and prosperous and Vittorio Emmanuele.A shell fell close and they both dropped to the ground and dropped me.Theyll shell the   out of us. We do get along.Were you in the StatesSure. how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things. The captain spoke pidgin Italian for my doubtful benefit.He walked across to the dressing station. The men were hot and sweating. the captain said.I translated this for Miss Ferguson.

 I will give you the addresses of places in Naples. is a short cut.Were you thereNo.That is not good. felt the brake come off and the clutch go in. We all sang. You will be good to me. He was a tall man and wore steel rimmed spectacles. There were racks of rockets standing to be touched off to call for help from the artillery or to signal with if the telephone wires were cut.I drank the cognac and felt it warm all the way down. We drank the second grappa. Miss Ferguson walked away in the dark.I will get it for you.

 Up the river the mountains had not been taken; none of the mountains beyond the river had been taken. It was all right if she was.Were almost up.Somebody said you should be able to learn it in two weeks. I sat now in the chair and an orderly of some sort looked at me disapprovingly from behind a desk while I looked at the marble floor. I said I hoped it would go well but that he was too kind.A shell fell close and they both dropped to the ground and dropped me. Nothing to do. We are war brothers. it seemed. This captain baited him often.It was a ghastly show. the stumps of trees projected.

 Because we would not wear any clothes because it was so hot and the window open and the swallows flying over the roofs of the houses and when it was dark afterward and you went to the window very small bats hunting over the houses and close down over the trees and we would drink the capri and the door locked and it hot and only a sheet and the whole night and we would both love each other all night in the hot night in Milan.Youre sloppy.I lifted it to arms length and the strands cleared. darling. he said. long 6. The telescope that fitted it was. little puppy.Will you tell her how sorry I amYes. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it. I leaned forward in the dark to kiss her and there was a sharp stinging flash. It was a big trench mortar shell. Rinin.

 I went with him and found the dugout. This was a joke. he pointed to the thumb. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. I kissed her hard and held her tight and tried to open her lips; they were closed tight. go to hell. This is close to the front. FrancoI am all right. Passini was dead. on the street.You are ignorant.Nonsense. There were not enough stretchers.

 Every night priest five against one! They all laughed again. That night in the mess after the spaghetti course.Its way out. the lieutenant said.Were not far from the top. I asked him what happened and he said. Some one took hold of me under the arms and somebody else lifted my legs. I hope you feel better. It tasted of rusty metal.Im all right. You love EnglandNot too well. below in the town. Every day I am better.

I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall. Mr. locked in the trunk.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right. Good by. and one day at the end of the fall when I was out where the oak forest had been I saw a cloud coming over the mountain. We went for a stretcher but there wasnt any. Your friend is a doctor. the stump of his leg twitching.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant. go get a corkscrew. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again.

 He made a gesture and laughed loudly. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. You will come with me to see Miss Barkley. lit it and went on reading. I said. lootenant.What about eating. and found we still lived in the same house and that it all looked the same as when I had left it. The others listened. The Englishman broke into voluble and perfect Italian. Goodnight. Maria.Theyll send you to a hospital.

 I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley.Thank God I did not become involved with the British. Villa San Giovanni.You. a few freshly washed. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away. He broke off.You were sweet to tell me. the tall Englishman said in Italian. You will be good to me.A rivederla. cartridges. Incurred in the line of duty.

He shook his head.You think notNo.Hello.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more. the basins and the stoppered bottles.I wish there was some place we could go. You cant. They picked me up and took me into the dressing room. Some one came in and as the door opened I could see the snow falling. It would have been impolite not to have known something of them when I had listened to such a splendid explanation of their causes which were. My legs felt warm and wet and my shoes were wet and warm inside. But the little Scotch one is very nice. The captain was having a great success with finger games.

 The orderly was listening behind the desk. Passini said. Tenente. the window open and the sunlight coming into the room.Ill walk down with you. she said. she said. in which you said things instead of playing cards. the stump of his leg twitching. He held up the glass. Passini was dead. They take your home. They were bersaglieri.

 Goodby. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. Inside I saw the head nurse. He was dressed. I lay still and let the pain ride. He shook his head at me.The Germans too. I wondered who had done them and how much he got. The priest shook his head. Are you coming to nightNo.Whats the matterHe looked at me.No. wont youWhat the hell.

 He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it. it seemed. Dont be a bloody hero. I unwound the puttee and while I was doing it I saw there was no need to try and make a tourniquet because he was dead already. What is defeat You go home. There were many marble busts on painted wooden pillars along the walls of the room they used for an office.Outside the post a great many of us lay on the ground in the dark. My father is a famous hunter. sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends. We read. You do not really like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment