Tuesday, May 10, 2011

where I was. You could not tell anything about them.

 Im not
 Im not.Thank you for the coffee beans. I am now in love with Miss Barkley. At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on. then it pattered into a stream. I saluted and went out. the shellmarked iron of the railway bridge. gentlemen. These V. I said.You ought to have let me know. I could have given him that anyway. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent.

What rotten luck. I told them what I had heard.I have to get washed and report.As the ambulance climbed along the road.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack. it was slow in the traffic. said the major. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down. They cant go on doing things like the Somme and not crack. The stream kept on. all this in a moment.I have one. You must forgive me for talking so much.

 I havent any papers for you.She looked down at the grass. is a short cut.Im quite well.I have to get washed and report. Kiss me goodby.I went along the narrow road down toward the river.Hes an American. He went back inside. He did not hear me. Rocca said. But dont bring a lot of Italians. I identified them by their red and white striped collar mark.

 the major said over his shoulder. bound in leather.And youre all right I asked outside. There was fighting in the mountains and at night we could see the flashes from the artillery. on the street. Sometimes still pleasant and fond and warm and breakfast and lunch.Bersaglieri. green and dark to the snow line and then white and lovely in the sun. He lived in Udine and came out in this way nearly every day to see how things were going. and mark a cross on both legs. One side must stop fighting. she said. I said.

You. They were very nice and we had a big evening. Alpini would. Hold on to my neck. looking out at the snow falling slowly and heavily. Oh mama mia. I said.Here is the American Tenente. Goodnight. The priest smiled and blushed and shook his head. chilblains.That was because it was first. Look at your valorous conduct in asking to go always to the first line.

 It was impossible to salute foreigners as an Italian. He bellows. Messina. and come back like this.You dont wear himNo. Chew those. And you do love meYes. They blew him all to bits. I love you. Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in.How do you do Miss Barkley said. Im sorry for your head. as they fall from an icicle after the sun has gone.

I will get it for you. I said.He shook his head. Shes a nurse.The adjutant.Of course they do. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk. I said and poured the basin full of water. The officers all came from such good families.I believe in the Free Masons. Maybe it would finish this summer. We crossed the brickyard. Manera said.

 she said. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa. English goddess. Shes a nurse.Have you any moneyYes. The drivers were pleased with it and I left them there. Mr. I tried to tell about the night and the difference between the night and the day and how the night was better unless the day was very clean and cold and I could not tell it; as I cannot tell it now.You ought to have let me know.Passinis dead. Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in. It was a hot day and there were many flies in the room. Ill not learn it in two weeks.

 I smiled at the priest and he smiled back across the candlelight.I didnt know about anything then. who was on duty. Maybe she would. We are all splendid. I sent a couple of army Zona di Guerra postcards. Always with the girls. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known. I went on home.He shook his head.Yes. His helmet was off and his forehead was bleeding below the hair line. They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air.

 They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened. and found we still lived in the same house and that it all looked the same as when I had left it. But millions of fools like you dont know it. He talks French. It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains. I wore one when we went up to the posts and carried an English gas mask. I said.Nonsense. I will get you a copy. Everybody was in the dugouts. baby How do you feel I bring you this It was a bottle of cognac. he himself so small that you could not see his face but only the top of his cap and his narrow back. depended to a considerable extent on myself.

And what did he say asked the priest. lay asleep on the other bed.Yes. He can handle the English.Yes. God. he said.We think.How do you do Miss Barkley said. Rinaldi shook his head. There were big guns too that passed in the day drawn by tractors. my bed was made up with blankets and my things hung on the wall.You were sweet to tell me.

 father.Shes Scotch.I knocked over his candle with the pillow and got into bed in the dark. I wanted to go to the Hartz Mountains.There isnt any place. We dont go out.How do you do I said. He is a priest; he will appreciate it.We two were talking while the others argued.I would like to go with you and show you things. At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five oclock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing.I would like you to see Abruzzi and visit my family at Capracotta. looking out of the window of the bawdy house.

 I looked at the tires carefully. The major was at the telephone sitting on a box.Have you any cheeseThe major spoke grudgingly to the orderly who ducked back into the hole again and came out with a quarter of a white cheese. Tell me. It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side. I had imagined that the condition of the cars. He had not had it but he understood that I had really wanted to go to the Abruzzi but had not gone and we were still friends.Of course they do. if the war should end. I talked with the major and learned that when it should start and our cars should be loaded we would drive them back along the screened road and up to the main road along the ridge where there would be a post and other cars to clear them.Im not angry. Ill see the medical wallahs.Do we eat yet.

 I thought she was very beautiful and I took her hand.Goodnight. Mama mama mia. And in the town we have beautiful English girls. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant. I was still angry and as I held her suddenly she shivered. You only pretend to be American. I wondered who had done them and how much he got. He looked at me.There was great laughter from everybody. He bandaged. And we have gotten away from the war. He had not had it but he understood that I had really wanted to go to the Abruzzi but had not gone and we were still friends.

 I waked the orderly and he poured mineral water on the dressings.You have that pleasant air of a dog in heat. yes ) with possible fracture of the skull. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. One killed and the fellow that brought you. She would not let me put my arm around her.You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life. The river was low and there were stretches of sand and pebbles with a narrow channel of water and sometimes the water spread like a sheen over the pebbly bed. isnt heYes. Another night when you feel stronger. Walking home Rinaldi said. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was. You could not tell anything about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment