Tuesday, May 10, 2011

the legs and brought him in. who was on duty. he said.

 The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up
 The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. I am positive you will get the silver. I felt the engine start. I must go.Which side is it onHere. Tenente. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead. aint this a goddam warListen.Im English. whether or not things were obtainable. It tasted of rusty metal.I will send her. and of which I had never heard.

 It was really very large and beautiful and there were fine trees in the grounds. Rinaldi.You speak English he asked. Wait till I get cleaned up. I said. Ive seen the holes. yes ) with possible fracture of the skull.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding). He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up.We went on eating. Would you like a drink of brandy How did you run into this thing anyway What were you trying to do Commit suicide Antitetanus please.Thank God I did not become involved with the British.Do we eat yet.

 the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across. Bacchus barred. I saw the town with the hill and the old castle above it in a cup in the hills with the mountains beyond.Oh I love to tease you. isnt there I was brought up to think there was. of course. Lots of them would have liked him to be king. I felt the engine start. Not very well. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. He drank a half tumbler of cognac. But the little Scotch one is very nice.I went out to look at the cars and see what was going on and then came back and sat down in the dugout with the four drivers.

Im afraid it will make it bigger. maam.A whatAn ignorant wop. They were bersaglieri. Lacerations of the scalp (he probed Does that hurt Christ. he himself so small that you could not see his face but only the top of his cap and his narrow back.The captain. Porta feriti I tried to get closer to Passini to try to put a tourniquet on the legs but I could not move. If youve got a fracture you dont want inflammation. We are war brothers.When you come back bring a phonograph. the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American. I dont mind at all.

 One side must stop fighting. This was a game. he said.We might sit there just for a little while. He loves Franz Joseph.I washed. Another burst and in the noise you could hear the smaller noise of the brick and dirt raining down. you see. Ill see the medical wallahs. He had written to his father that I was coming and they had made preparations.Shes on duty.They wont crack here. I said.

 What kind of time did you haveMagnificent. Good by. The drivers were pleased with it and I left them there.Thank you for the coffee beans.Its not really the army.Yes. Now they have a guard outside his house with a bayonet and nobody can come to see his mother and father and sisters and his father loses his civil rights and cannot even vote.This isnt a deep dugout. This had been the villa of a very wealthy German and the busts must have cost him plenty. Then. and I knew I was dead and that it had all been a mistake to think you just died. You know more about it than I do.I was going to cut it all off when he died.

 and.Just as you like. an ambulance was waiting by the side door and inside the door. I said. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. Back at the villa I went upstairs to the room.They hang you. he said. The British hospital was a big villa built by Germans before the war.Oh. as when a blast furnace door is swung open.Those that went out were not lined up when they took the tenth men. He drank a half tumbler of cognac.

I said I knew. The British hospital was a big villa built by Germans before the war. I said. It was a one road show. seeing it all ahead like the moves in a chess game.Oughf. I like the simpler pleasures. There were many marble busts on painted wooden pillars along the walls of the room they used for an office.Will you tell her how sorry I amYes. He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me.Not even for the beautiful languageNo.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad.I know how you talk.

 You know. Im not. I saw a third range of mountains. Really.It is a filthy and vile book.Its rotten. Then in Italian: Lift him very carefully about the legs. the major said.We drove fast when we were over the bridge and soon we saw the dust of the other cars ahead down the road. cloudy with snowwater and running fast through the spiles of the bridge. I said. There was much traffic at night and many mules on the roads with boxes of ammunition on each side of their pack-saddles and gray motor trucks that carried men. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front.

 said the major.Whats the matter nowNew rings. I thought he had a fine name and he came from Minnesota which made a lovely name: Ireland of Minnesota. maybe yes. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun. she said.Bring him in. They take your home.You think notNo.No. he said. It was impossible to salute foreigners as an Italian. Passini said.

They cant do anything. and the whole thing going well on the Carso made the fall very different from the last fall when we had been in the country. Your friend is a doctor. the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across. she said. We understand you let us talk. The only son of the American Ambassador.No. put their stretchers down. There were mists over the river and clouds on the mountain and the trucks splashed mud on the road and the troops were muddy and wet in their capes their rifles were wet and under their capes the two leather cartridge-boxes on the front of the belts. There was a cough. You love EnglandNot too well. I said.

 it was slow in the traffic. What hit youMe. Another nurse was with her. I wish she were here now.No. Perhaps. Dio te salve.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi. Passini said.Of course they do. the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. I do not believe in the Free Masons however.Wash up and come as you are.

Ill take what you can give me.I dont think it will hurt you. You love EnglandNot too well. I will send the liaison officer. baby.Lift it high. The sun was going down and looking up along the bank as we drove I saw the Austrian observation balloons above the hills on the other side dark against the sunset. You dont have to pretend you love me. There isnt always an explanation for everything. The orderly was listening behind the desk. He slapped the bed with his glove. I made sure he was dead. But the little Scotch one is very nice.

 tipping their heads back. But as long as you drive the cars and behave  and dont talk so other officers can hear. In the dark it was like summer lightning. he pointed to the thumb. Also we were required to wear an automatic pistol; even doctors and sanitary officers. now this is the point of the story. wont youWhat the hell. It looked as though it might be a mess. I felt something dripping. Tenente. she said. He lived in Udine and came out in this way nearly every day to see how things were going. Dio te salve.

 People cant realize what France is like. bronzes looked like something. I remembered.Which side is it onHere. the tiny man with the long thin neck and the goat beard. When we were out on the gravel drive she said. and of which I had never heard. I looked at her. an officer directing the light and the crew scared.Open the bottle. Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in. who was on duty. he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment