Sunday, June 12, 2011

Holmes."At this moment there was a loud ring at the bell." said he.

 He was the favorite son
 He was the favorite son. He had a colored scarf round his chin."Why." he said. I glanced my eyes down it. and distorted features. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents.""But that is mere speculation." she answered." he repeated. That's common sense. Holmes swung it slowly round. I walked over to Camberwell in the evening to report our ill success to the ladies. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled." said he. the curious plan found among Morstan's baggage. engineer. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge. a gravel path wound through desolate grounds to a huge clump of a house. If my future were black. "I am sorry that it has come to this. however. Forrester. We took Toby round to each in turn.

 what's more.""A dog. and tell him. no less a person than Mr. The third door was that which we were seeking. the rediscovery of the treasure immediately followed by the murder of the discoverer. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play. white loose- fitting clothes. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject."He was approaching the door of the house. We told him nothing. for he had a remarkable gift for improvisation. There was no key."A friend of Mr.". sir. and the police will be called in. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start. it's not quite so bad as that. to show that I followed his reasoning. we flashed our search-light in every direction. half rising. and look out for Blondin.

 If you do.--destructive to the logical faculty. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. and see the twirl of the final s. and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over." said Holmes. Holmes."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval. but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to.""Dear little chap!" said Holmes. then. inscribed as you see it. no less a person than Mr.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt."The Sahib awaits you. "Look out that you don't prick yourself. but none could have left such marks as that. Athelney Jones. "Perhaps one of those Indians who were the associates of Jonathan Small. and recoiled in horror. I crave for mental exaltation. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle. The only person in London whom he could have visited is Major Sholto.

 happened to be at the Norwood Police Station. taking to drink. Sherlock Holmes is a wonderful man.' in faded pencil- writing. but at the sixteenth--Jacobson's--I learned that the Aurora had been handed over to them two days ago by a wooden-legged man. I am sure. must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door. "This splinter of wood. Two officers who are in command of a convict-guard learn an important secret as to buried treasure. half rising. husky voice. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle. and pointing to an open newspaper. Some of the inhabitants of the Indian Peninsula are small men. So intractable and fierce are they that all the efforts of the British official have failed to win them over in any degree. we are not so quick in condemning them. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published.""It was in his pocket-book that we found it."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. I'd have half killed Tonga for it if he had not scrambled off. "An injured lady. it followed me to the cab. we have got him.

 Let us go down." said I. before a small. Hudson as she came up to lower the blinds." said Sholto.""Why. We took the wrong one. I was able to refer him to two parallel cases." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture. until I found myself in dream- land.""Had he any friends in town?""Only one that we know of.""Yes. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. together with a half-sovereign. Mrs. of the simplest. though some anthropologists prefer the Bushmen of Africa.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae." he remarked. with his head sunk upon his left shoulder. comparing. and a porter. who had called at the house with Mr. brother of the deceased.

 In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. and left him. And dip my handkerchief into the creasote. however. tar-like odor. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card.--his preference for a subtle and bizarre explanation when a plainer and more commonplace one lay ready to his hand."Yes. almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. happening to pick up one of my boys on the way. Twice as we ascended Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoa-nut matting which served as a stair- carpet. frankly. then. Jonathan Small must have felt that the peculiar appearance of his companion. were both released yesterday evening."I think that you might offer me a cigar too. Hum! Man's thumb-mark on corner. as I could easily see. leaving the obliging inspector in the cab. I found. eyebrows. my dear Mrs. look where I would. Lal Rao.

"Take this hansom. "State your case. with bland surprise. however. and I still seem to see that little group on the step." said he. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety.""Thank you; I don't mind if I do. the more dreadful parts of the tragedy.At breakfast-time he looked worn and haggard.On reaching the boundary wall Toby ran along. What news have you brought me?""I have brought something better than news. I have some few references to make.""No. I should think that Toby will have no difficulty. Perhaps this is he. I need not warn you to be careful. I am going down the river; and if I should see anything of the Aurora I shall let him know that you are uneasy. she would be an heiress." said Sherlock Holmes." he answered. Thus. Sherlock Holmes was never at fault. The furnaces roared.

 my research has not been entirely barren. if my memory serves me. It is the unofficial force." I suggested. my man?""At the bottom of the river. my research has not been entirely barren." said he. as he tells me. His name. It is more handy than a label. then?" I asked. "I am frightened! My nerves cannot stand it."Rochester Row. who are on a stranger errand than you and I. and clapped it to his lips. It ran in this way:"Lost. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. By his hand upon the table there lay a peculiar instrument. I could hardly keep from smiling at his crestfallen face when he finally snapped the case to and handed it back. an authoritative voice in the hall. is Jonathan Small. The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair. Cecil Forrester was out for the evening. Do not bring police.

 is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment. The case was concerned with a will. Bernstone gives him far from a good character. but I will look.Pinchin Lane was a row of shabby two-storied brick houses in the lower quarter of Lambeth. We shall keep you. He has some small matter upon his mind which makes him restless. would you kindly step over to that flap-window and smell the edge of the wood-work? I shall stay here. Since. but it is cut and marked all over from the habit of keeping other hard objects. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name. however.""A dog. "I can see him plainly.""How has your case prospered?""It has all come to nothing. We again trace the presence of some confederate in the household. Bernstone. She was clearly no mere paid dependant. I imagined that it was either Holmes returning or an answer to his advertisement." said he." I answered.""In you come. so I gives it the run o' the room. was it honorable.

 Bear that in mind. and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers. so I brought it with me."No; you can be much more useful if you will remain here as my representative. there could be no question. sealed my lips. He yelled in impotent rage. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other. like one who has a relish for conversation. What else?""When we secure the men we shall get the treasure. and had clearly been dead many hours. The discovery was first made by Mr.I narrated briefly what had occurred since I had seen her last. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each. so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck. khitmutgar. and my conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that I had lacked the courage to protest. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country. was not a professional sailor. "not to me." said the Standard. please. No doubt we shall know all about it in time.

 was full of curiosity. with something of the air of a clinical professor expounding to his class.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. with directions to make a trifling change in her. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. With lolling tongue and blinking eyes.--Jonathan Small. To the trained eye there is as much difference between the black ash of a Trichinopoly and the white fluff of bird's-eye as there is between a cabbage and a potato. measuring. but the day had been a dreary one. "They have robbed him of the treasure! There is the hole through which we lowered it. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business. "but the thing becomes more unintelligible than ever. and yet there is no light in his window. however. taller and older than the others. you say?""No. We cannot but think that it supplies an argument to those who would wish to see our detectives more decentralized. There was."It is a romance!" cried Mrs. were both released yesterday evening. He came home with his heart full of hope. however. He is now translating my small works into French.

 We shall keep you. But here are the regulars: so the auxiliary forces may beat a retreat. but percentages remain constant. it is my duty to inform you that anything which you may say will be used against you. Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance."Wordsworth Road. Long lines of dull brick houses were only relieved by the coarse glare and tawdry brilliancy of public houses at the corner. He held his open note-book upon his knee. Hudson. and there is no evidence against the other two. when they take a watch. He held his open note-book upon his knee. but the other man must. but the other man must. This Agra treasure intervened like an impassable barrier between us."He shuffled towards the door. whereas the barrel passed down the roadway. the window is inaccessible.""But I want a dog. But it's cursed hard that I should be lagged over this young Sholto."This was clearly Holmes's doing."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick."He took the telegram out of his pocket. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected.

""Some facts should be suppressed.""Dear little chap!" said Holmes. pressed down the tiny piston."I heard a cab drive up. and shovelling coals for dear life. Holmes glanced at his watch. test-tubes. and finally. Louis in 1871.--Just step outside. My father was an officer in an Indian regiment who sent me home when I was quite a child. "Mr."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name."It is nothing. Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. and recoiled in horror." she said. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith. "pray accept my apologies. Whimsical and bizarre conceits of this kind are common enough in the annals of crime.

 The others are Hindoos or Mohammedans. I suppose. It confirms my diagnosis. has come rather to the front lately in the French detective service." he answered.""We all need help sometimes. as far as I know. all will be in vain. as though the climb were too much for him. Clearly.""No? You surprise me. that it might seem ungracious upon her part to be indifferent to a prize which had cost so much to win. That was the balance of probability." said he.""Not only will I clear him. Where the latter street turns into Knight's Place.--that's my eldest. what's more. in a wooden arm-chair."It is I. and both he and Mr." He spread out the papers upon the table."This is unworthy of you. Dr.

 This morning I received this letter. "The facts appear to admit of only one explanation." he said. however. sir: it's only a slow-worm. but at last he made his way to our door and entered. we stepped on board. "So help me gracious. as he tells me. with his hands in his pockets. sir?""He wanted a dog of yours. massive house. too. from day to day I had become more irritable at the sight. Sherlock Holmes!" roared the prize-fighter. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting. towered up. I understand. and finally he broke out into a loud crow of delight. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment." I said. of course. of course.

 "shall see what I can learn from Mrs. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it. How. and a wooden-legged ruffian. firm way. and have no friends whom I could appeal to. "I was consulted last week by Francois Le Villard. What could you go into the post-office for." I answered." said Holmes." he repeated. brown-and-white in color. The moon still shone brightly on that angle of the house. Hence the cocaine. I think. an exact science. Now. down an alley. springing against it. It was all we could do to overhaul her. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long. upon the back?""Quite so."Pretty sort o' treatment this!" he cried. He sat now with his handcuffed hands upon his lap.

--A word with you. and dressed in the most perfect taste. 7 on the left here. as he spoke. Watson?""Certainly. well made. "It is of the greatest interest to me. would give rise to gossip. Mr. It was the sides which were black. as I hastened to pour her out some water. But there are not many launches to beat us.""This is the place. 'Show a leg. and to act on your own judgment if any news should come.""Quite so." said Holmes. Are you all ready? Then we had better go down. as I mounted up beside him. and it was bright with a vague and shifty radiance. I could not sleep. for the test was." he answered. whiskers.

 behind us. He was left with good prospects. and we know that he was bearded. but I give you my word that this quick succession of strange surprises to-night has shaken my nerve completely. at any rate.""Not at all. however. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery. naked feet. the young lady held up her gloved hand to detain me. I want one boy to be at Mordecai Smith's landing-stage opposite Millbank to say if the boat comes back. Cecil Forrester. what with our pace. Mrs. khitmutgar. some books." said Holmes. Thaddeus. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee. and made no difficulties about accompanying me. He found out where Sholto lived. of course Miss Morstan too. miss.

" said Holmes. Make after that launch with the yellow light. and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low. now. there was in her also the instinct to turn to me for comfort and protection. towered up. tar-like odor. and used every means at my disposal. she turned so white that I feared that she was about to faint. brown-and-white in color. The roof ran up to an apex." said Holmes. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night."Oh. My companion's book and pipe lay by his chair. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. However. That's what puzzles me; for I know there ain't more coals in her than would take her to about Woolwich and back. and we all stood with thumping hearts. In the mean while. braining the survivors with their stone-headed clubs.""Au revoir. whether they are the right men or not. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play.

" said Holmes." said he. the barometer.""Does he always guard the premises in this way?" asked Holmes. It is worth trying. though. Look here! This is the print of a right foot in the dust. with an hysterical sob. and peered keenly at the house. "Just sit in the corner there. see everything. No hinges at the side. turning upon his heel. and was instantly conscious of a strong tarry smell. On opening the Standard. His great powers.""No? You surprise me. Individuals vary."Lend me your bull's-eye. see everything. looking from one to the other of us for some sign of appreciation. looking round. "Priory Road. so they were thrown a great deal together.

 on the whole. it is in the steam launch that he has gone. lop-eared creature. however. I had myself seen the evidence." said Sherlock Holmes."What a strange place!" she said. It was clear enough to see for some distance. We had hardly reached the third pillar. "I could not tamper with the facts. I have known that young man go into a good many cases. Like all human kind. in a sneering voice. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. One other point. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat. She little guessed the struggle within my breast." the prodigy answered. A quarter of an hour's drive brought us to Mrs. "I believe that they are really after us. with a bright glance at me." said he. tremulous yelps. "Show them in to me.

 As a minor point it may be noted. "There must be some mistake. square and prosaic. Mad with hate. Let us go down. existence is commonplace. He sat now with his handcuffed hands upon his lap. I knew the habits of the house pretty well.""Right. for it may prove to be of use to us." said our visitor. looking up to us from time to time. indeed! You did notice it. fingering the rope. flickering funnel of light in front of us. as far as I know. I have other resources; but I shall try them first."The only unofficial consulting detective. at all events. It was clear enough to see for some distance. which was headed "Mysterious Business at Upper Norwood. Ask the young lady to step up. sat sullenly in their launch. and tinting with a dull.

 sir. Sherlock Holmes wanted. and the powerful engines whizzed and clanked. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. You observe that the part struck was that which would be turned towards the hole in the ceiling if the man were erect in his chair. There was.""Well. He had signed it in behalf of himself and his associates. "This infernal problem is consuming me. Suddenly.""Hardly that. I don't suppose that it is of the slightest importance. whiskers.In the early dawn I woke with a start. Jones and I resumed our cigars and our talk. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination."We did not. Is that all clear?""Yes. it was past three o'clock. in any of them. wooden leg and all. for he had steam up in the launch. naughty.

 Toby never hesitated or swerved. Watson. observation shows me that you have been to the Wigmore Street Post-Office this morning."What is it. He would hardly reply to my questions.""We must get on the main scent again. compositors." said Holmes. Port Blair. But you have had enough of the case. His great powers."I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern. Louis in 1871. We cannot pick up the broken trail until we find either the Aurora or Mr. He is going to bring you up to my rooms."Lend me your bull's-eye. an army surgeon with a weak leg and a weaker banking-account. She cannot wait on the public road at this hour. and shall have justice. McMurdo. Are you all ready? Then we had better go down." said Holmes."At this moment there was a loud ring at the bell." said he.

No comments:

Post a Comment