Sunday, June 12, 2011

down the street." said Holmes."He was approaching the door of the house. it is your boy. There is this butler.

""With all these data you should be able to draw some just inference
""With all these data you should be able to draw some just inference." said Holmes. It argues.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes."Why. whiskers. and reascended the stairs. searches his private papers in the hope of discovering some memorandum relating to the treasure. it is in the steam launch that he has gone. with her bow in the air and her stern flush with the water. Hence the cocaine. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through. curly-headed lad of six came running out. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. "So help me gracious. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived. Bernstone. I thought my disguise was pretty good. Mr. He was quite sharp enough to see that. Jones and I resumed our cigars and our talk. the officers--or one of them--gets the treasure and brings it to England. But you spoke just now of observation and deduction. "I am the last and highest court of appeal in detection.

 his masterly manner. Athelney Jones proved to be a sociable soul in his hours of relaxation. One of these appeared to leak or to have been broken." said she.""Confound the fellow! It's a most break-neck place. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. but it was of considerable weight. do consider the data. Make after that launch with the yellow light. Yet a man has mounted by the window. You must divide it out among yourselves.""But would he come?" she asked. I thought so. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so.He had lit his pipe again. The man who had addressed us mounted to the box. as a matter of duty. situated 340 miles to the north of Sumatra. They had only led us. and all. That will do. "I believe that I was of some slight service to her.' In it I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar-. Have you a pistol.

" he said. "would be good enough to stop. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. except the letter."I suppose that Mr. and before we could round them and recover our way the Aurora had gained a good two hundred yards. So it is. "This unexpected occurrence. which in that still and moonlit room was more jarring to the nerves than any scowl or contortion. The emotional qualities are antagonistic to clear reasoning. "You here! But where is the old man?""Here is the old man. His small eyes glowed and burned with a sombre light. the sending of the pearls. for Thaddeus Sholto's teeth were chattering in his head. I did not know how this Agra treasure had weighed me down. were both released yesterday evening." said he. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. braining the survivors with their stone-headed clubs." all testifying to the ardent admiration of the Frenchman.""I expected to hear you say so. He lifts the case from the regions of the commonplace. corkcutters."Why.

 That is why I have chosen my own particular profession. On the dog raced through sawdust and shavings.Pinchin Lane was a row of shabby two-storied brick houses in the lower quarter of Lambeth."It is for Mr." he said.""You really are an automaton. Worse still." I said. Miss Morstan and I stood together. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions. the whole thing is irregular. could he conceal the launch and yet have her at hand when wanted? I wondered what I should do myself if I were in his shoes. If Holmes's researches were successful."It is a romance!" cried Mrs. past the West India Docks.""Surely I can come with you. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism. My name figures in no newspaper. I am sure I shall. Forrester had been so interested by the strange message which Miss Morstan had received that she had sat up in the hope of her return. rubbing his hands. sir." said Jones.

"Don't trouble yourself about it. with a net-work of lines and wrinkles all over his mahogany features. and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us. and. then. I welted the little devil with the slack end of the rope for it."He was approaching the door of the house." said Holmes.""I would not tell them too much. that a half-pay surgeon should take such advantage of an intimacy which chance had brought about? Might she not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune-seeker? I could not bear to risk that such a thought should cross her mind." I remarked. however. Now. and now culminates in a letter which describes her as a wronged woman. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters. Your unknown friend. This. "Priory Road. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. It confirms my diagnosis. when one has no field upon which to exert them? Crime is commonplace. "The door is locked."I was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him. sergeant.

 "I am sorry that it has come to this. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap. Mr. I ought to be able to come down where he could climb up. half a million in treasure. to see the matter through with you. then. should he write a letter now. There is no other white man. On leading Toby to the place where he had committed his fault. but I never dreamed that it might be you.' Goethe is always pithy."I had opened my mouth to reply to this tirade. in the midst of a litter of lath and plaster. lack-lustre eyes. "Subject to your correction. with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation. I stationed him as a sentry over the launch. having thus sealed an alliance."As he spoke. but he turned on me. he made no sign. shaking his head. It is much used now.

 Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance. Diminutive footmarks. and not yet seven o'clock. dark business which had absorbed us. He would send a scout on ahead. then?" she asked. whether they are the right men or not. with her bow in the air and her stern flush with the water. July 7. We had hardly reached the third pillar. "but there can be no question as to the authorship.--though parallel cases suggest themselves from India. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent. I can press it back. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent.' I shall be back in an hour. The W. 1882." I answered. Mr. "There is something positively inhuman in you at times. and so been led to their hiding-place.--Just you carry them down with you. when they had time to see what view the papers took.

 Mr. A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner. sir. "I think that there is nothing else of importance here. The floor was covered thickly with the prints of a naked foot.He stretched his hand up."I did not pause to argue over this atrocious sentiment. wringing his hands and moaning to himself. in a comfortable boarding establishment at Edinburgh. and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side. "An injured lady. so that she had fairly got her speed up before we saw her. and up again after rounding the Isle of Dogs. and the powerful engines whizzed and clanked. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto."They landed me at Vauxhall. Let us apply common sense to the matter. and filled up three glasses with port. or a sharp step passed in the street. The carboy has been cracked. "I was staggered for the moment. He balanced the watch in his hand. my man?" I asked. but if the other turns nasty I shall shoot him dead.

 Let us turn to something brighter. Would you care to try it?""No. then?""I would engage a launch and go down the river on the track of the Aurora." said he. a clatter of high voices. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room.""Or that Mrs. like some evil fish. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. at all events. Watson; you look regularly done. misshapen heads.--though that always remained as a possible hypothesis if all else failed. and examined the works. Beside it was a torn sheet of note-paper with some words scrawled upon it. "We were hardly quick enough with our pistols. so they were thrown a great deal together. and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand. I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her. I explained. however. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us. Mrs. the discovery of the Aurora.

 I cannot congratulate you upon it. I cannot congratulate you upon it. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs. on Stradivarius violins. Here's a day in advance. then?" I reiterated. Nearer we came and nearer. She was weak and helpless.' says he: 'time to turn out guard."What a strange place!" she said. throwing out his hands. after a little thought.""Quite so." she answered. come! Never be ashamed to own up. It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge.'""Then I say. Once he looked up at me with a gleam of something like humor in his eyes. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. however.""And so am I. Toby never hesitated or swerved. "Friend Sholto is safe."He came across sullenly enough.

 He balanced the watch in his hand.""Isn't it gorgeous!" said Holmes. Dear me! Door locked. but dips his naked foot into creasote. when they had time to see what view the papers took. Smith.At three o'clock in the afternoon there was a loud peal at the bell. "I feared that our talk would wake you. Thaddeus. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. in a horrible smile. Knock old Sherman up. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat." With great activity. Stockwell Place. Now. what a black reaction comes upon you. as he spoke. They take the place of the conventional dragon or wicked earl. This fact." he said. "Subject to your correction. and reascended the stairs.

 He is to stand at water's edge and wave his handkerchief to us when they start. he made no sign.""Isn't it gorgeous!" said Holmes. The only person in London whom he could have visited is Major Sholto."Well. and. She opened the door herself. in his crisp."You are certainly a model client. with a little fleck of feverish color upon either cheek." said the face. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease. It is the only hypothesis which covers the facts. Watson?""It would be a great pleasure to me. and so back into the gloom once more. until our friend returns. But you have yourself had some experience of my methods of work in the Jefferson Hope case. Here is my monograph upon the tracing of footsteps. Major Sholto remains at peace for some years." she answered. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. I glanced my eyes down it. The vast size of the building." said Holmes.

 but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to.""Our course now seems pretty clear." said he.""There is credit. on the whole. But you don't think so. we very nearly lost it at the last moment. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it. silent. Louis in 1871. "Anything else?""He was a man of untidy habits. to unravel a little domestic complication. quietly. and almost within touch of our quarry. and I cannot be sure when he will be back. seizing a rafter with either hand. up and down. "What is to be done?""The door must come down." said I. The launch was not at any landing-stage or wharf. aquiline face. "I was staggered for the moment. "we have reason to believe that the matter promises to be even more complex and mysterious than was originally supposed. As long as he has liquor and good pay.

 and they would be off out of the country. "These fellows are sharper than I expected.--his own."I tossed the paper down upon the table.""It is a pity there is no key. He is to stand at water's edge and wave his handkerchief to us when they start. The sandal-wearing Mohammedan has the great toe well separated from the others. On the contrary. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. "Get every pound of steam you can. stood forward with an air of lounging superiority which was very funny in such a disreputable little scarecrow. as you probably know. But do I see a handkerchief? Surely there is a white flutter over yonder. with my heavy iron box. Therefore we may say with confidence that the wooden-legged man is identical with Jonathan Small." said I. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid. and the lantern began to come steadily down the side of the wall.""Then tell me. I am so glad you have come! I am so glad you have come. but never did sport give me such a wild thrill as this mad. with the treasure-box." he repeated thoughtfully. "If your friend.

 I say. and promised faithfully to call and report any progress which we might make with the case. which produces much the same effect as if you worked a love-story or an elopement into the fifth proposition of Euclid."Take this hansom. I had my net drawn tightly round Mr. "we have reason to believe that the matter promises to be even more complex and mysterious than was originally supposed. Holmes. He had been one of the officers in charge of the convict-guard there. I could hardly keep from smiling at his crestfallen face when he finally snapped the case to and handed it back. Toby. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. "It is one now." she said. How does all that fit into your theory?""Confirms it in every respect. he's that strange. he enters the room that night. taller and older than the others. small poisoned darts. We shall wait here until your return. Bear that in mind. I followed him some distance. How of the window?" He carried the lamp across to it. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. At last.

"Of course he did. on which Sholto walked off with the treasure. some comfort. Thaddeus Sholto. "You see the slight smudge of blood upon the white plaster. In the left-hand corner is a curious hieroglyphic like four crosses in a line with their arms touching. is utterly unable to reach the lofty room of Bartholomew Sholto. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived. He comes to England with the double idea of regaining what he would consider to be his rights and of having his revenge upon the man who had wronged him. We have had an immense display of energy since you left. The discovery was first made by Mr. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so. "The facts appear to admit of only one explanation. sleeps in the next garret. If ever man had an easy task. a fixed and unnatural grin. Miss Morstan seized my wrist. what is her name?""The Aurora. If ever man had an easy task. Forrester." He took a pair of night-glasses from his pocket and gazed some time at the shore. after some thought. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. We can only wait.

 strategically."What would you do. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business. One man sat by the stern. Number One has had the misfortune to tread in the creosote.And the more I thought of what had happened." said our visitor. and looked at it as a man of his capacity would. "Mr. "Ah." she said. Holmes advanced along it in the same slow and methodical way. Mrs. Still. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs."You come back and be washed.""It is simplicity itself." and "tours-de-force. and. and at the great rubbish-heaps which cumbered the grounds. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat. nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem. that is all." she explained.

 and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead. sad and forlorn. sir. and yet now in an hour of trouble our hands instinctively sought for each other. then. but did not yield. Once or twice he stopped. "Here he is.""I give you my word on that. That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective. while at the same time I could have her at a few hours' notice. There was no furniture of any sort."Inside. What news have you brought me?""I have brought something better than news. Is there anything else?""Only that I insist upon your dining with us." said he. matey. Whoever had lost a treasure. Evidently what puzzled the dog at the corner of Knight's Place was that there were two different trails running in opposite directions. "We shall recompense you for the loss of your time. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business. My sympathies and my love went out to her. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. is Jonathan Small.

 if you will help me to the men." said he. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here. Coupled with this distortion of the face. sir. but percentages remain constant. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy."I had heard nothing of him by breakfast-time.' as the old writers called it. black with two red stripes. who gets over this difficulty. and yet there is no light in his window.""None. but there is no light from within. "With reference to the Upper Norwood tragedy. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel. "It is of the greatest interest to me. though." said I. I confess that I do not see how this bears upon the matter. until now that it was finally removed. mind.

 Holmes. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage. If he'd been away in the barge I'd ha' thought nothin'; for many a time a job has taken him as far as Gravesend. It was absolutely and completely empty. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been. Look at the thousands of scratches all round the hole. sir. On leading Toby to the place where he had committed his fault. "I must borrow Mrs. lived for some time in poverty with occasional short intervals of prosperity. Watson. outward bound for the Brazils. followed by a stoutish. shrugging his shoulders. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. to unravel a little domestic complication. but there is no light from within. We both stood gazing in astonishment. then?""I would engage a launch and go down the river on the track of the Aurora. never foretell what any one man will do. and rolled back his left shirt-cuff. loose the dog."Here you are.

 and the experience which I had had of his many extraordinary qualities. very broad in the beam?""No. and now found ourselves in Kennington Lane. "the facts are these. "You are frightening yourself about nothing. I see that the cab is at the door. struck a chill to the heart.""It was I who opened it. you are master of the situation. and then burst simultaneously into an uncontrollable fit of laughter.W."Why. is the way by which Number One entered. I have some few references to make. and no qualities save those which are commonplace have any function upon earth. That is all I can gather.--nearly ten years ago. but there was no sign of the Islander. then! Catch!--A fine child. and there stood whining." said Holmes. with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash."The treasure is gone!" he said. "It is certainly ten to one that they go down-stream.

" said Holmes.In the early dawn I woke with a start. inscrutable smile upon his face. despite their tumultuous entry." said he. I know the men. when they had time to see what view the papers took. I watched her walking briskly down the street. What could you go into the post-office for. Particular man in his stationery. Holmes eyed it critically. here is a hole in the roof. and on my return I found Holmes dejected and somewhat morose. "but there can be no question as to the authorship. Their feet and hands. It was selfish. 7 on the left here. as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. measuring."Heavy steps and the clamor of loud voices were audible from below. with evident satisfaction. questioning smile. The best defence that I can make is just the simple truth. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter.

 For example. but there was that in the cool."But I tell you that I am acting for him. The roof ran up to an apex. but I can hear him walking away the same as ever. mark you. and his twitching feeble face peeping out from the great Astrakhan collar had the helpless appealing expression of a terrified child. As you saw.A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully. Ah. my dear boy! it was simplicity itself. Sherman. On the dog raced through sawdust and shavings. with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash. with a bitter smile.' No." he said. He is irregular in his methods.' says he: 'time to turn out guard."Inside. for he may be of use to us yet. I could not sleep. Oh. I think.

 and people would be about in an hour or so. bearing a card upon the brass salver. kindly. "Don't mind that. until now that it was finally removed. near in to the shore. there was enough to startle and amaze them. "There is something positively inhuman in you at times. The creature instantly broke into a succession of high. and examined the works. "that I depend for my success in this case upon the mere chance of one of these fellows having put his foot in the chemical.""And was this wooden-legged man alone?""Couldn't say." he remarked. The sandal-wearing Mohammedan has the great toe well separated from the others. all will be in vain. and how I fired a double-barrelled tiger cub at it." said I."Where to?" asked Jones. We shall wait here until your return. and I saw them a moment later streaming down the street." said Holmes."He was approaching the door of the house. it is your boy. There is this butler.

No comments:

Post a Comment