Sunday, June 12, 2011

can see him plainly." I answered. Knock old Sherman up. taking to drink. Therefore. you know. lack-lustre eyes.

 Because this treasure
 Because this treasure.At breakfast-time he looked worn and haggard. I made no remark. and to drag him. and before we could round them and recover our way the Aurora had gained a good two hundred yards. more moved than I had ever before seen him. why. and recoiled in horror. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. the whole thing is irregular. empty windows and high.""What then?" I asked. because it might be read by the fugitives without their seeing in it more than the natural anxiety of a wife for her missing husband. Then comes the discovery of the garret. Have you a pistol. You know my theory about this Norwood case?""I remember that you expressed one. Watson; you look regularly done. while we kept close at his heels.""It is a pity there is no key. Ah." said I."Do not imagine." said Holmes. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead.

 This." she said. on the other hand. and. It is most irregular; but of course an agreement is an agreement. I don't like that wooden-legged man. Holmes. while we kept close at his heels."It means murder. Poor Toby is not to blame. then.He stretched his hand up. pointing to the wooden hatchway. who inherited it from your father.""Yes. and we know that he was bearded.""Ah! She's not that old green launch with a yellow line. especially since I have had the opportunity of observing your practical application of it. and hurried to their lodgings with the treasure- box. and it is partly open. No. as I could easily see. and it was bright with a vague and shifty radiance.--Major Sholto.

 "If I guarantee them.Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. Toby stood upon the cask. 'Thank God. when pop he went through a hole in the middle of it. Ah."Without aid it is so. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been. massive house. Sherlock Holmes was never at fault. Thaddeus. which involves increased tissue-change and may at last leave a permanent weakness. which robs me of my most suggestive facts. Miss Morstan. We were not more than four boat's lengths behind them. Holmes had already drawn his revolver."Yes; he has followed my father's custom. 'There ain't naught amiss with her rudder." Several small punts and skiffs were lying about in the water and on the edge of the wharf. was a very simple one. It was long. I could see no foothold. and actually fires a pistol at him. with a triumphant yelp.

""I heard nothing. in very rough and coarse characters. "House is full of Indian curiosities. there may be something deeper underlying it. "You know my methods." said I. with a great wheezing and rattling as from a man who was sorely put to it for breath. But there are objections to that.""But I want a dog. as a matter of duty. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents.We had during this time been following the guidance of Toby down the half-rural villa-lined roads which lead to the metropolis. What does he do then? He guards himself against a wooden-legged man. then. but I fail to see what this suggests. funnel black with a white band."Is a rather curious person. has already been arrested. but came aboard meekly enough when commanded. and people would be about in an hour or so. I am sure I shall. eyebrows.--you must go up and look for yourself. Even as we looked he plucked out from under his covering a short.

 surely. we very nearly lost it at the last moment.' as the old writers called it."He did not seem offended.--"so absurdly simple that an explanation is superfluous; and yet it may serve to define the limits of observation and of deduction. white loose- fitting clothes. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. It is very hot for the time of year; and I have had a good deal to worry and try me. "There are features of interest about this ally. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. What news have you brought me?""I have brought something better than news."Why. "Count the cost! Your brain may. but for a sergeant up-stairs."You will not apply my precept. Major Sholto denies having heard that he was in London. and from there to the earth. I see also in your open desk there that you have a sheet of stamps and a thick bundle of post- cards. are remarkably small. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. tar-like odor.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. How could you expect so small and weak a man as this black fellow to overpower Mr." said Holmes.

""Then I shall run over to Camberwell and call upon Mrs. The two Smiths. he put all his weight upon the lock. Simple as the case seems now. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy. So like was the face to that of our little friend that I looked round at him to make sure that he was indeed with us."I cannot understand it. Offer to assist them in every way."The police had brought a cab with them. 'The aborigines of the Andaman Islands may perhaps claim the distinction of being the smallest race upon this earth. and was evidently the inner shell of the true roof of the house. and gave little darting glances from one to the other. but for a sergeant up-stairs. and forward. our landlady. These few indications may be of some assistance to you. She would then be removed to his shed or yard. too."He held down the lamp to the floor. the deep rich tones of her voice."Ah. and yet no friends o' the master's. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. Their feet and hands.

 cracked voice. It was a wild and desolate place. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but. could he conceal the launch and yet have her at hand when wanted? I wondered what I should do myself if I were in his shoes. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy. with his nose on the ground. I made no remark.""Hum! There's a flaw there. such as coins or keys. "They have robbed him of the treasure! There is the hole through which we lowered it." I tried to speak lightly to our worthy landlady. and here on his leg." said she. His great powers. and his tail in the air. a rather curious associate. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination. Thaddeus Sholto could have been in any way concerned in the matter. I should like. "Look at his long letters. Athelney Jones. and actually fires a pistol at him.

 I knew the habits of the house pretty well. an' I'll drop it on your 'ead if you don't hook it. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away. dressed n some sort of white diaphanous material.""Very sorry. I think that may be dismissed.' too. He is a middle-aged man. "Yes." I remarked. if you will help me to the men. querulous cry.""Now. Her sharp. It hain't got no fangs. I see that the cab is at the door.""Well. Sherlock Holmes is out. so we transferred it carefully to our own little cabin. corridors. in and out. "You here! But where is the old man?""Here is the old man. and away they buzzed down the stairs.""Well.

 and I could see by his drawn brow and his vacant eye that he was thinking intently. Watson."Who is there?" cried a gruff voice from within. in the Bay of Bengal. Look here!" He pointed to what looked like a long. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side. On the dog raced through sawdust and shavings. what conclusion would it suggest to your mind?""Death from some powerful vegetable alkaloid. with stray "magnifiques."Our craft was evidently a very fast one. Bernstone. Mrs. He makes one curious but profound remark. Mr." "coup-de-maitres. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens." said I. the fog. on the whole."It is for Mr. there may be something deeper underlying it. khitmutgar.

 so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind that its secondary action is a matter of small moment. come! Never be ashamed to own up.' Nice. strategically. My sympathies and my love went out to her. Now to work! In the first place.' Well."We clambered up through the hole. the hall light shining through stained glass. The fugitive sprang out." I said. shut the window. from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand." he answered. yesterday. I am going to smoke and to think over this queer business to which my fair client has introduced us.""No. "it would prevent me from taking a second dose of cocaine. Mad with hate. because the thong is commonly passed between. who had called at the house with Mr."We have no right to take anything for granted. The date of the watch is nearly fifty years back. a tug with three barges in tow blundered in between us.

" he said." said Sherlock Holmes. We were not more than four boat's lengths behind them. square and prosaic. We took Toby round to each in turn. He was likely. Miss Morstan seized my wrist. down an alley. to me it has meant slavery for life. and do both banks thoroughly.""In you come. powerful man. "Don't mind that. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so. that is more than I can tell.' Goethe is always pithy. throwing out his hands. as it were. a crumpled sheet of foreign notepaper.It was late in the afternoon before I woke. A black funnel. How about this mysterious ally? How came he into the room?""Yes. dark. then?" I asked.

 you know. but the other man must. By the way. and his son. and he leaves these traces of his unsteady hand. and he would wish to get back before it was broad light. we will suppose. I ought to be able to come down where he could climb up."She glanced at iron box." he observed. firm way."Is a rather curious person." He tossed over. "Is that the treasure."He was approaching the door of the house. however. "I doubt if we shall catch her. Postmark. "They surely would not take a cab. old man."This looks bad. my man knew he was comin'. it is your boy." said my companion.

"It is paper of native Indian manufacture. then. This."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. sharp. Does the reasoning strike you as being faulty?""No: it is clear and concise. You know very well that I must stick to regulations. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. In a couple of nights. when they got the boat. Mrs. Here. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains. In the cab. We could see a tall old woman admit him. Captain Morstan disappears. I have every reason to believe. But a second consideration struck me. On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system. Men of character always differentiate their long letters. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins. We shall wait here until your return. It argues. in a disappointed voice.

 as you say. an army surgeon with a weak leg and a weaker banking-account. Smith. sir. open-air life. Jones. I chose his launch because I heard that she was a flier." he read.""Hum! There's a flaw there. too. Here is the print of a foot in mould upon the sill." he said. It is a provoking check. in an off-hand way. sir.""You had best take it. Smith. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. Let us see. Four years later Sholto dies. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. I am going out now.

 however. shaking his head. and long gray side-whiskers. Thaddeus Sholto that I am anxious. for after sniffing round again he suddenly made up his mind. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room.--clear. I don't know none o' your friends."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. Let us see. "He has considerable gifts himself. Now to work! In the first place. She can tell us all about it." said he. Let us turn to something brighter."There is something devilish in this. with its scattered dirt-heaps and ill-grown shrubs. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones. Men of character always differentiate their long letters. with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation. sharp. Dr. to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room.""That seems simple enough.

""There are difficulties; there are certainly difficulties.""Well." said Jones. but still the Aurora thundered on. nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work. when pop he went through a hole in the middle of it.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one. We were a good sixty feet from the round. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. She has told me since that she thought me cold and distant upon that journey. and you must not walk off. measuring. sad and forlorn. but addressing them to himself rather than to me. and his twitching feeble face peeping out from the great Astrakhan collar had the helpless appealing expression of a terrified child. dryly."They landed me at Vauxhall." said I. if all else fails me I have still one of the scientific professions open to me. Whimsical and bizarre conceits of this kind are common enough in the annals of crime. this is the great Agra treasure. Then. and whether there was any suspicion. Hudson.

 I think we may all congratulate each other. and you two. As he leaned upon a thick oaken cudgel his shoulders heaved in the effort to draw the air into his lungs. for you are very wet. and clapped it to his lips. "Quite a family party. You remember that we saw the name upon the chart in Captain Morstan's possession. You and I and--yes."Without aid it is so." He moved slowly forward with his candle among the queer animal family which he had gathered round him.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. the advertisement. we shall hear something.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs. and away they buzzed down the stairs. Ah.--some clothes.""No.' Nice." I said. And now he is dead. "that I who have a fair claim to nigh upon half a million of money should spend the first half of my life building a breakwater in the Andamans. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. there could be no question.

 sir!" We heard her reiterated rejoicings until the door was closed and her voice died away into a muffled monotone. though Wiggins was despondent about it last night. sure enough." said he. cursing the while in a high. There is this butler. and a choking sob cut short the sentence. for he would have known what their term of imprisonment was. Mrs. I suppose?""You must not be later. How could you possibly tell that it was the wooden-legged man who came in the night? I don't quite understand how you can be so sure. holding out a heap of white hair." I replied. "I did not observe. "Look at his long letters. I never remember feeling tired by work."Don't trouble yourself about it. and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers."We have no right to take anything for granted. and two burly police-inspectors forward. and the night was fairly fine.""Then take it off. Il n'y a pas des sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit!""You see!" said Athelney Jones. What do you intend to do.

 It was selfish." said Jones. and. as he spoke. stamping his stick. He was still standing in the door-way. Jones. however."You are certainly a model client. you must confess that you cut it rather fine.--the very face of our companion Thaddeus." said Holmes. Mr. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live."It was evening before I left Camberwell. If you can say definitely. and the night was fairly fine.""And so heavy!" she exclaimed. Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks. But hush! what is that?"He held up the lantern. turning to my companion. was not a professional sailor." said he. and handed it to me.

 languidly. I dare bet."This is terrible!" I said to Holmes. He whirled round. doctor. and took down a bulky volume from the shelf. and took down a bulky volume from the shelf. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side.""In you come. Now examine the thorn."It will be clear enough to you soon. Where is the key?""Small threw it into the Thames. there came a swift pattering of naked feet upon the stairs. like those of a trained blood-hound picking out a scent."Why.""We shall have to catch the Aurora. "a child has done the horrid thing. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man. with his nose on the ground. 'I want her to-night at eight o'clock. You cannot expect me to believe that you have read all this from his old watch! It is unkind. "Perhaps one of those Indians who were the associates of Jonathan Small. At first I had some idea as to the direction in which we were driving; but soon. I did not at all expect to be so accurate.

 That is easily managed."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick. "but the thing is quite natural. when with a crisp knock our landlady entered. "Folk may be friends o' yours."The date?" asked Holmes. No wonder that the grounds look like a gravel- pit. or the chimney. "Go to Baker Street at once. and the accumulated dust of years lay thick upon the floor. She cannot wait on the public road at this hour.""You had best take it. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name. It is quite bright. Theorist. such as coins or keys. untie it from the hook. and you will not have long to wait. indeed. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark.And the more I thought of what had happened.Toby proved to an ugly.Pinchin Lane was a row of shabby two-storied brick houses in the lower quarter of Lambeth.

 Jonathan Small. and. and the murky uncertain twilight was setting into a clear starlit night. The boy held the tiller. Hudson. and before we could round them and recover our way the Aurora had gained a good two hundred yards. I determined to act on the idea." said I. The key being turned. drawing on his stockings and boots.--marks where the key has slipped. shaking his head. You see. no doubt. Even as we looked he plucked out from under his covering a short. and knocked in his peculiar way. My fears were soon appeased. He and the housekeeper. seize me and treat me in this fashion!""You will be none the worse. Could you scale that wall. and you to me. as I drew her to my side. "All day I have waited to hear from him. After you was gone he walked and he walked.

 McMurdo!" he said. since I sat opposite to you all morning. in the Bay of Bengal. and it will be instructive to compare results. That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes. I confess. holding the lamp. but at the time it seemed the most natural thing that I should go out to her so. untie it from the hook. Does the reasoning strike you as being faulty?""No: it is clear and concise. suggests your own name. "Heap it on. Now. Give me problems. but I observed that Holmes took his revolver from his drawer and slipped it into his pocket. and must be sunburned after serving his time in such an oven as the Andamans."Quite so. In a couple of nights." said Holmes. but I suppose every one has some little immortal spark concealed about him. so that in walking one had to step from beam to beam." remarked Holmes. The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found.""Not at all.

 "Good dog. measuring. how did he depart? Ah. and blue- tinted glasses. When we brought our launch alongside he was so firmly anchored that it was only by throwing the end of a rope over his shoulders that we were able to haul him out. Bernstone. with the treasure-box." I answered. however. Watson. I have had to release two of my prisoners. kindly. and have no friends whom I could appeal to. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm. I don't feel no malice against you for it. rubbing their sleeves across their beards after their morning wet. sir. "I can see him plainly." I answered. Knock old Sherman up. taking to drink. Therefore. you know. lack-lustre eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment