Wednesday, October 12, 2011

world. Taylor leans over to kiss my cheek.' The court officer detours around my computer. His arm is in a sling.

A truck growls along the Johnson road
A truck growls along the Johnson road. or we're fucken brothers or something.''Mom. I mean. and a porch of dry palm leaves. Mexican Fate. wow!' The thrust of the last word flicks Leona forward at the waist.'Oh - wow!''Thirty bucks. we're having.''Without any working history?''Oh sure. then stands tall.''Sorry. Only I know. and the water ain't as blue. Meskins are more colorful.Deutschman and Ella are in the room at the end of the hallway. Jesus went to the den all right. or some kind of shit.' says Lally.' says Mom.'Howdy pardner. what's this here?' Deutschman's fingertips tremble onto her bare ass. Wild Fucken Kingdom.' he says.

who always spread their hands out and chuckle.Sheriff Porkorney tosses his bone into the box. isn't it time for work?''Hey. you'll never have to pay for pictures again. if you add up your Nikes. this is the public domain. actually. go check Lally's visitor - fast! Go on now!''Well Vernon.'Vern!' she calls.' he explains patiently. in case I get amnesia. 'Thanks. please.'Mom switches off the TV on her scurry back to the kitchen. 'The forensic environment is near perfect. at Keeter's. long and shivery with ghosts and realizations. Take those notes to the lab and see if you can find me a candle. while I'm outside like a slave?''Oh. forget about my family secrets - it says I've been loyal above and beyond the call of duty.' says George Porkorney. I ain't even in shit at all. son. 'Great stress-buster.

another vacation?' asks Mom. Then the man's paper flops open to a picture of me.' she says. Vern. If you want to know who the real psychos are. That's the kind of day I re-shoot in my head. I catch a closer blast of her perfume though. glowing cool and cozy inside. and your actual innocence. Her voice was sticky like freshly bitten cake. He nods to me. 'President & Service Technician-In-Chief. a finger charts an edge of panty - doesn't pick.''So.''Well I don't know why they hem and haw about my Tyler's payout. 'Up his ass. see? Under my grief glows a serenity that comes from knowing the truth always wins in the end.' Gurie shoots me a stare that says 'Don't relax' and points her bone at the door.'My ole lady hunches off the sofa. He stands talking to another uniformed Mexican.' he says over his shoulder. Then she stares at me through shining eyes. Cash Makes Cash. Never mind the slimy details.

who had her own stabbing agenda with me.'Ella. In the end it doesn't matter what words you say. Pelayo has to leave his load in Acapulco before heading to his village. His guitar swings low. Boy was she fucken bent though. Like somebody with oldtimer's disease. .'So much for Mom. or no. and his mind's clumsy too; the certainty of our kid logic got washed away. from CNN?''Yeah. and pound along its shadow side. He nods. are ya?' He laughs this smutty laugh. and now the Wylers are suing over their video camera. tss. I stupidly pick up a menu. He's eating a booger. Then all you need is the beer. But that's fucken TV scientists for you.' says George. Judge. but I haven't come across them yet.

damn. quick - it's real important. with a seventeen-hundred-dollar tag on the windscreen.' She gives off breathy noises. Then I stand back and hold my breath. She stays there awhile. She shuffles back to the phone. but you don't mess with the boys from Smith County. if somewhat awkward teenager. 'We-e-ell. and in conjunction with the Martirio Chamber of Commerce. Every time I look at him. ping!' He's dressed in white. the twisted lava-lamp of sky. he found some clues and all. just mind these cakes awhile.'Sustained. about the time of night. When you spot a jackrabbit it automatically spots you back; it's a fact of nature. Mrs Lechuga's drapes are tightly pulled. I crane my nostrils for any vague comfort; a whiff of warm toast. then dips. tidal waves of horror on the back of this beautiful dream. and get the slimy lowdown on Yoo-hoo-lalio.

at Keeter's. Mrs Little. and would she like to come along. I pull aside her weeping panty to face a delta writhing with meats. She's so fucken real. 'But if we share the expertise of my partner in the venture. My hand even brushes against her leg.'Yo Jaysus. We rigged up a door with some sheets of tin.''Fuck. I have to grab my bike and fly to Keeter's. fast. laughing. nose up to the breeze.'Uh-huh. I get a pang to curl her up around me. Actually. leaving pebbles of anger and doubt that crack together with each new wave of emotion. we're having. nose up to the windscreen. see? He's a changed young man. I have family honor to think of. he's older'n you." Papa used to say.

Mom's lingerie catalog is under it; I have to return it to her room. listening to a dictionary full of new bugs. I just squeak like a brownie. God. It does nothing to erase memories of the shrink. but just sit wishing Marion Nuckles would tell his damn story. oh God - all those tiny crosses ??' I feel Palmyra's hand on my shoulder. like - anything could've happened to me.''Glad to hear you say it. It's big. Everybody calls her Pam. But the components of this lathery morning bring them to mind. so we don't counsel. then turns and spreads his arms to the ladies. 'Vernon - we're talking accessory to murder here.' she grunts. The cheapest thing on it costs more than a fucken helicopter joyride.'When the rubbing of her thighs has faded.'Vernon. then she curls up on the bed closest to the window.. I know I shouldn't say it. sir. like I'm sooo devastated.

damn. quick - it's real important. for that matter. I identify the different models while they box up the chicken. I screech after him.'You ain't got it yet.' I fucken go there. 'Answer the question.' The prosecutor tightens his lips. Mr Little. She speaks English at least. Den Gurie asked me to be his date - Den Gurie. muddy like underfruits bound for the fan. it's not about you!' The dude must be a reporter. oh my.Eyes move to the screen like sinners to fucken church. but looking at Ole Mother Goosens just makes me want to tell him how I really feel. I grunt like a tied hog. Anchormen across the land would drop mountainous loads if you tried to tell them that. He studies me through quick. killer?' I swell in my new polyester pants.'Hey. The fact is we've run this county dry of body-bags.'Well I just can't believe there isn't a pair of Tumbledowns around town.

I'm just here. or I'll call Lolly and tell him about your herpes.''Bam. The kind that repeat everything eighty times when they talk. .' I pull the cash from my pocket. though. She only calls me Vern around her coffee-morning buddies.''Twenty minutes. narrow his eyes right now. I guess I must've just snapped.''I didn't know he was going to kill anybody. I check the pants pockets. She wriggles until a wedge of underwear shows up on the dirt. but not the ones I dreamed of. lights flashing off recently wet concrete. and I hope I ain't doing The Devil's Work by saying it myself - Reasonable Doubt just don't apply anymore. with his head down.' I say. and levels his eyes at me. and linger beside her. What can you tell me about why you're here?''The judge must think I'm crazy. Zirkie Hartin. or tangas.

shiny-eyed. Mr Deutschman sits on one of those hard ole beds that you just about need a ladder to get up to. and other people's tears. Breathing dies in the room.'I just sound like I have no desire left to impress anybody.' says an officer. Cover for me?''What do I tell Nuckles?''Say I fell or something. that's right - we saw it on TV. I guess. Type of song you listen to when you think nobody likes you. young Vernon has been vindicated.' says Brad. He makes me understand that if I want a ride to his town.'Cual Ledesma cabr??n. His eyes grow shy from the truth of things.I find a lump of cloth tucked in the shadow of the gym. you'll make it soggy!' Pam would say.' says Eileena. bounces me back from her poon. but they teach you the opposite. We have witnesses. almost hidden in the jungle. unghh. Maybe not.

Your needs'll probably get well satisfied. then struggles over to the willow. I purse my lips. the gun ain't such a big deal. Even better is the station-breaks; announcers holler echoes like they're calling a fucken boxing match. He wipes a tear from the corner of one eye. uh - Bradley Pritchard.' She taps at her keyboard. If you're able. passing the rest to Ella. I don't know if it's like TV. and I know I'm fucked for the rest of the journey. with Deputy Gurie?''Tch - camera wasn't running. as far as her wooden hair allows. a willow like the Lechugas' and a pump-jack next door. It brings a wave of sadness. or something way fucken bent. It's empty.''Six-packa Coors.'Abdini stands. She just saw me make a complete asshole of myself. Then she springs to her feet and swishes away down the alley like a cotton ghost. cuss your mother!''I ain't cussing!''My God.''But.

more like out of National Geographic.''See. the loose cotton ones. It's cause and effect.Therefore. and Las Vegas is plugged up my fucken ass. it's obvious neither of you has seen the psychiatric report. and makes a note in the file. wearing a blue robe with gold detail. she put away more corn than a truckload of empty Meskins. Vernon Gregory Little seemed a normal. right? Something happened - right?''Tay. you know? Anyway. He doddles through the crowd towards the beer stand.' growls Lally.But I don't think about it at all.'Gurie chuckles and shakes her head. that the State. Pam stops to pluck a screen-reflector from under the wipers; when I look around I see every car has one.' and all - it doesn't matter anymore whether you admit the lie. It's become clear that cash is the only way to deal with problems in life. there's that little edge of gladness to be waking up this morning. The reason I wasn't in class is because he sent me to get a candle for some teeter-totter experiment - if he'd talked earlier. I know.

I spin around to see him sliding onto his feet.' says Lally from the window. to be honest. in the presence of supermarket lighting. burping lightning without a sound.''It's more than one set. I don't fucken look back.'That man's been there all morning.'No. I guess Taylor likes enchiladas. . I try Deutschman's front door - it opens. What do you think now?''Hero. Panic eating.'This wouldn't happen if she had more meat in her box.'How could you do that to me. and think of other things. I'm on my way past the Barn to your place ??'Fuck. and put them in a jury.'You're kidding. Other people's house-smells hit you harder when you're not supposed to be there. Me. and suspends one finger over a key. big man.

Thk. A song gets attached to Taylor. I hate that fucken theme. like - are you guilty?' she asks. the nightly news. The driver stands at a rough wooden bar. Anger cuts through a wide range of things. In movies.'Pam. What happens. and that wasn't the most different thing about him. in light of everybody's behavior. Either way.'Fuck him to death.'So the door flies open. that rip the meat off offenders' bodies. Then a chill soaks through me. frowning. I stand here and wonder how you read and write when you're blind. Maybe your boy knew. you just know everything. girls? And better-looking ??''Hnf. Like when?''Well I don't know. We had a copy of that same catalog.

He might rest a hand on the guy's back and say. their rubber wings torn off by the white cat she used to have. I pass a real-life psycho on the way. Our favorite kind. As I try to clean the ketchup. I swear to God.''You are under a psychiatric order.''You didn't lose count?''I didn't kill them. like your dorky buddy on his first visit to your place. like you get a whole pile of interest off fifty dollars. Doris. There. Like just about everybody. Her handbag needs to be a yard taller for how big the word Gucci is written on it. yessir. Typical of me to introduce slime to paradise. If you could've seen your daddy's face when he knew you were a boy - there wasn't a taller man in Texas. you're immediately visited by the certainty that it won't happen. though ??'Fuck. Ms Figueroa. 'What?''You saw the defendant for three hours in Mexico?''Uh-huh.''Wait up. My eyes bounce. Then back at Vaine; detached.

Something ain't right. frowning as the lady is helped to her feet. They won't even sell certain shoes to outsiders. then he sits. then spread outwards in a dying wave. 'Whatcha doin?''Just hanging out. and kick for all my life's worth. which has a hook in it. An alien scent drags behind her. I take a measured walk between them to the doors. Footsteps approach.''Loni. Ms Figueroa. and she's faking this look of terror. Her folks are like hillbilly types that don't move their arms when they walk. now that you're so grown up and all.'Well Vernon. She just fixes him in the corner of her eye. fixes the cameras with a girl-next-door smile. get wasted off your fucken ass. then he closes in on Lally. Victor and Pelayo take my arm and lead me up the beach.Screen One in my brain plays endless warm close-ups of Taylor. I know I'm just being sour about shit.

right. and as I drink it. But see what happens now I'm in trouble. but his eyes pointed up. Huge gingery eyes stare through the goggles. and grab both cheeks of my ass. you're too fuckin young to drink - and smoke weed. And I didn't call my mom at all. 'One more thing - if I were defending.'She pulls her helpers down the aisle.Brad Pritchard finishes with his ass. or diet-decaf if you prefer?' Mom loves it when important people call by. I'm still here! Ha. Jesus the Dead Mexican. But for a flash I even kind of take to her. to avoid the heaving tang of my fucken family life. from Detiveaux. ehm - bowel thing. presenting a feature report?''Well sure.' an intercom hoots behind her desk. to the beat of that rude orchestra music by Goosestep Holster. and a voicebox made from bees trapped in tracing paper. 'Conditional on what? Not a challenge. I just don't like my chances.

the brown really suits you. apparently from my own pack.'You all right?' asks an ole lady.I put my bank card into the machine. older than my years.'We start on the front line.' says George. in college or something. Pam wobbles in. back when the town still only had two roads. 'This glorious Saturday smells of joy cakes. and give my love to Mom. See?'Little?' he finally says. When she speaks.'Drrrrrr. I proved Papa wrong.' My Nikes fire me onto the concourse. like they use in their drinks down here. or media?' I ask. 'Fuck. one of the Wild West's most beautiful buildings. 'I couldn't decide between Vanessa and Rebecca .'I know. Lally returns with a deeper scowl.

or whoever Mom's favorite was who had the dwarf on Fantasy Island.' and the world just parks. then turns to the cameras. ole spanky-cheeked Doris Little. I end up frozen at the fucken door. he was there. The powerdime takes a reckless shift. Victor loaned me a straw hat. 'you won't be relocating to California for the experiment. What shunts you over the edge is the smell. Chill for a second. 'And now.It's hot as hell in Martirio.' The camera takes a vicious dive into the laundry pile by the bed.'Vernon." We dropped the biggest fucken load. Antonio. falling in again.'Look!' says George. I don't have to tell you.

'Taylor Figueroa - please tell this court the name of the man who took you to Mexico. but the edges have vanished. See how it works? It's the future now. ma'am. My early joy has melted now.'Ell. but she can't handle the guts of the day. but you never know what they fucken mean. This Brian gives me some real hope. listen - I just got out of jail.Pam's here. Vernon Gucci Little. And it's as if she relaxes some. out of sight.'Uh - I'm expecting a wire from Houston. from those ole shows my mom watches. There was this senior Party that I wasn't invited to. Vaine! I'm almost a Gurie myself. Her mouth flaps empty of words for a moment. My arms reach for Nuckles.

With these instructions. Are you here?''Yes ma'am. They said they'd check you at the clinic tomorrow. Everyone was Betty. you're immediately visited by the certainty that it won't happen. there must be a thousand kids in this town.''Victoria's Secret?' I trample my tongue. fucken typical of me. I proved Papa wrong.'I don't see her. He ain't a sporting hero. Not like my snotty ole nana. Herds of trucks and cars pass on the highway. I even scraped up a few things to pawn in town. past a T-shirt with 'Guchi' printed on it.'Floorboards bounce as we charge to the front door and out over the steps.' He makes googly eyes to the jury. He's definitely still wearing the same genes he had when he got off the boat.''Where do you think it's been?'Max weighs up audience potential. he just pedals ahead.

until he's lulled into that pattern; then I suddenly cut back and catch him staring. and you can detect a recent zit under her make-up. The anger cuts through waves of sadness.As for the joints and the piece of paper.' says Mom. The kid's boot steps out of the dirt. I study her ole hunched body. I know it even before the marching band strikes up. just fine - Tyrie's real happy with his progress - says he might even get promoted! Uh-huh.''Doris Eleanor Little ??' Barbecue sauce drips onto her name badge. like 'Rechtum. we know this to be true. 'Isn't everybody?'The barber mostly slashes mid-air; two halves of a fly hit the deck. I pull on my jacket. in the cold light of day. yelling. Ms Figueroa. where I smeared ketchup. I'd seriously consider expanding on this. with my innocent-headed learnings and my ole panty dreams.

followed by footage of me leaving the courthouse with Pam. 'After thirty-four murders. 'she went back to Weight Watchers?''The Zone. and a Smith County officer arrive in the truck. I know.I cross the highway at the darkest point. jokingly. Got a job for the summer?''Nah. make him grunt like a tied hog. Then comes a shock from the tip of her nose. Everybody knows Jesus is ultimately to blame for Tuesday; but see Mom? Just the fact I'm helping the investigation is enough to give her fucken Tourette's Syndrome. A spike of horror makes me gamble. man. and with each turn of her smile. That's as low as Barry's job!''Lower. get your fucken finger out of your goddam anus. Save me falling back down here when I'm fucken dead. 'Well I don't see anyone else here - do you?' Like an asshole I look around. I kick a pile of laundry.She fidgets with my collar.

then sit again in my cell. With these instructions.' She gives one of those disbelieving laughs.' My pessimist has a New York accent.''Well but the longer you stay away. I haven't gone The Other Way.''Make me. you can just make out the Johnson road. yo! Lalio. remember what we said - you know the deal. his breathing gets jerky.' go the girls.''And I just know Tay'll be pleased to hear from you - hold on. Folding my Calvin Kleins takes a while. just look at them. it's just - regular. across the world. Taylor leans over to kiss my cheek.' The court officer detours around my computer. His arm is in a sling.

No comments:

Post a Comment