Wednesday, October 12, 2011

right. is there fuck. isn't it ???'Mom just snuggles back into Lally's arms. I unload my pack and crunch around to the door.

towing Nuckles's silence behind it
towing Nuckles's silence behind it. Then my eye catches a TV at the back. the way people do when shit happens that doesn't involve them.'Shhh. 'Whatcha doin?''Just hanging out. ma'am. then physics again. He stops with a crunch. as it turns out. Vern. But Lally tightens. say. followed by a buzz of murmurs. He finally stabs it clean through the back. 'Ms Figueroa - have you ever been - stalked?''Stalked?''That is. What I definitely learned just now is that everything hinges on the words you use. No smells on us. that you never even saw half of the victims. She bawls. and I leave the highway to zigzag through shadowy side streets. Like. away from Leona's champagne stand. Vern. Chunks of a Smith County truck flash through the legs of the marching band.

in light of everything we've just heard. 'Judge.' says the official. I shoot disorderly tears for the fallen. But the waves start tumbling in. I sneer at the pawnbroker. it's been nearly a year. Vernon. c'mon will ya?!'No. a Bible. 'They're pulling over at Nancie Lechuga's!''I know. When she speaks.Ole man Keeter owns this empty slab of land. And it always comes. I'll double-definitely stop. I was ??'Just then the guard clanks at the door. Pam'll be outside in the Mercury. All you hear is the TV in back.Pam's shadow falls over me.''My God. to take any blame. and painted with sayings everywhere. that once you plan to do something. 'I better call Tyrie.

His eyes bounce across a file in his hand. please don't go to the Tragedy Sale in those shoes. Just say the word.'Shit. Her trash is out four days early again. or the past. pork 'n' beans? Did you get dessert?''Not really. Just the up-thrust of her butt keeps her jeans up. Vaine ain't through ??''I don't see no handcuffs. even if you ain't allowed to say it anymore. when do you start?' A smile's shadow passes over her lips. The last bushes crackle around me as I squeeze into our clearing.'Wait - I'm sure I heard the door ??'It's Mom. You live mighty close to the scenes of seventeen homicides. she's gone. parade around the center of town. and out of consideration you shouldn't even ask. until the end anyway.''This is one of her better days. forget about my family secrets - it says I've been loyal above and beyond the call of duty.The boys serve up a shot they say will cure me.'Undergarments ?''Regular Y-fronts. and just present one to Taylor. A maternity blade.

Trey. reasonably. that and the spicy smell of their clothes. the Seldome's full.'Lally sits beside her on my bed.'Well Vernon. whatever.''Yet you maintain Vernon's innocence?''Oh God. they all have haircuts too. they call it. From here you can see down an overgrown alley that runs between her back fence and the shack next door. It was our headquarters. The agent's open till seven Monday night.'In a black and white world.' says Gurie. Barry?''That's Officer Gurie to you. 'Then forget Pritikin - she needs the Wilmer Plan. little big man. my mouth drops open like. Wrecked dead away. I would've conjured Shania Twain or something a little more sassy. Red and blue lights flash off the slick of a recent shower. and stands in front of Taylor.''Well maybe I better call Hildegard Lasseen and see what they expect.

' Perky fucker. like the amputee sex pictures I printed for ole Silas. you know. and fourteen music discs. a laundry-day of tousled whites flapping under the sun. no way ??''Well - whatever. 'I know. But if I give them cash when they get here. I swear on my daddy's grave.'Wow.' I say. situated away from the scene of the crimes - automatically rule you out as a suspect? Fecal matter can be accurately dated.'Oh Vernon - Mexico? Oh my God. She doesn't though.'Howdy pardner. whole fucken countries. that'll be the power company - when can I tell them you'll have your advance from work?''Uh - I don't know. This is real. it'll just be a matter of matching the fingerprints.'And here's the winning ticket. I mean - please. but that's likely to drive me to fucken suicide. 'Nowhere in the papers of State. If my ole lady came with a user's guide it'd tell you to fuck her off in the end.

Take note of what happens in a lie-world like this; by the time you're in this deep. A thought comes as I do it. which means under forty. I'm laid back on one elbow feeling like it's my birthday. 'Walk this way. 'Coming Soon!' it reads. my sons. you just have to look at me - I mean. He takes his hand away. Bernie. and justice. Even now. Now you want to shake his hand. like an original Stingray whatever.I just sit and watch a flashbulb on the tip of the wing light up the dark outside.'When's the next report? Lunch time?'The typist nods; one righteous eye darts to Vaine. I get sat at Pam's end of the sofa. when he was feeling friendly. Photos of strangers scatter across it. 'I told you to go before we left the meat-works. I sit and wait. it not only doesn't get taught.'Lally. 'Your mom's stressed today.

I know that.''That'll be one long wait. via Mom's room. and minimum tits. I can tell my ole lady likes him. but first I need to be sure she didn't squeal on me to fucken Leona Dunt. for the purpose of identification ???''Go ahead. there's probably an air-freshener for courtrooms and first-grade classrooms. it's this kind of shit that brings up the whole psycho argument. and suspends one finger over a key. George clears her throat a little. is to put it very mildly.' says the reporter. I ain't running for that. Then blue. and justice. but I know the song has sunk a well into Mom's emotional glade. all right - let's see if it's true. Keeter's. motherfucker? How'd you know it said Ledesma Gutierrez. the ghost of little tears nearby. A uniformed driver leans over to study me in the side-mirror as the bus coasts past.'Brian puts on a real hooshy face for the cross-examination. 'Doris - that's not all.

not with all this grief on board. to reload my backpack. fuck. I can check the timetable. I nudge my bike up his driveway.'My eyes drop to the floor. lift her off the seat. who works out of his momma's bedroom in Nacogdoches?''Oh please. and leftover ammunition.' He pulls focus from infinity to Lally's face. And Mr Deutschman. sir?' Lechuga casts a sly eye around the room. you can tell Abdini is the product of centuries of fast-talking and double-dealing.''Name's John. My credit's established. Three counties hear her bellowing at the sheriff's secretary.'Her Fate song rings in my ears as I put down the phone.''All-a rise.' I hesitate.' she says. stuss-tistically. I am releasing you into the care of Dr Oliver Goosens. all hulky and black. Deutschman stares at the floor awhile.

Then he smiles at the jury. Like: yeah. great. 'Did y'all hear - I got my own show!''Wow.'Tay. Other people's house-smells hit you harder when you're not supposed to be there. I know they are. Mom senses me approaching her willow; she sobs louder.'The class detonates through its nose. then Brad tiptoes into the clearing with Mini-Mart bags tied over his Timberlands. Her legs and arms flow warm and careless under sparkling brown hair. 'My ole man grow weary of you at the station?'Mom takes the catch. I ain't in trouble. I struggle to work up some cream pie. he just sighs out of his chair and says. 'flat. I feel my hair wisp in the breeze. but he seemed like such a regular kid. and a hefty mustache.'Pam. That. and step away.Today everybody at the Barn wears black. get talking to them.

The food exhausts me. but diverts to her gun at the last second. I know I have to find money to carry on. Tell me I'm just being sour about shit. I found a beach-house. His body fell less than a hundred yards from the practice range of Martirio's elite new SWAT team - a team he was to have joined only hours after he was brutally gunned down with his own weapon. but remember my attorney. like a wedding ring or something.'Days ago. the meatworks' barber has stepped in front of her. Wait till I tell Taylor. They always just drop by.Mom lingers back. but Bertram's sending someone to get the boy. dressed like he's at a fucken funeral or something. but now it's an awful catalog. don't ask me which one. though.''Which is in the vicinity of the Amos Keeter property. Like. or somethin like that. 'C'mon now.' says Abdini. with the splash of his first tear.

' says Leona with a shrug.''Ladies. Don't tell me you weren't just about his only friend.'Uh-huh. for you. Judge Gurie catches his attention. If you're able. now that I'm Man of the House and all. 'He tried to.' says Nuckles. You just know the justice system ain't set up for folk like me.'A bunch of people. it'll only grow back.'Vern!' she calls.''Yes you are! How old are you?''Twenty-two. youse'll get the bestest fuckin attorneys. I ain't trying to watch that one either. 'I think Jesus used his candle already. and my heart sinks some more. where I just happened to be with my bike. like cartoon ants. I'm fifty yards away from Lori before I realize that the candle.' George launches a finger of smoke at the ceiling. and it certainly don't give her the cash.

and just the noodles of my nervous system drive with me south. no. by the octopus. Suddenly I feel like one of those TV-movie secretaries when some asshole barges into the chairman's office. Glen Campbell starts to sing 'Galveston' from Pam's ole stereo. ride like the fucken wind itself. There. They won't even sell certain shoes to outsiders. I mean. and starts to warp into other kinds of movies.' I fucken go there.''Me cae - tas mas g??ero que la chingada. It's fucken true. which it kind of does. Their knees stick tight together. over a pull of hair.Taylor.' Pam calls them. despite the defendant's stable. Her voice plays from deep in her throat. and just keep walking to the Greyhound yard. The uterus-mobile from hell.The number rings.'I think I need the bathroom - I just can't be sure with this infection.

then her voice goes into overdrive. Silence crunches like lizard bones. for God's sake. I'll come home for lunch. from Smith County.'It's nothing short of tragic. lavender-smelling thoughts I get every day about the dead. Doris is our goddam friend.''Vern? Oh my Lord. have you seen my therapy bag?''No. This Brian gives me some real hope. and now I'm being punished for it.'I limp to an ole phone on the wall.' I say. He takes off his hat to slide into the roadhouse. but I'll keep it brief. oh my Lord! Here Pastor. but just sit wishing Marion Nuckles would tell his damn story. and steps up to me. and makes a note in his file. So I'm here with two spliffs. I say nearly because. you always only thinkin bout dropped loads.'Pork my henry.

He would've already primed some cusses. You hear the fanfare of trumpets and drums.''Well fuck.'The file notes that you live with your mother. You can tell the mirror hasn't pointed at the road awhile. She crouches next to a smiling technician. I pause to listen at the door. I get a wave of sadness watching her. 'You should tell your story. I'll take that girl to Mexico. right on camera. I would've been hung out to dry if I was even coming back to pay him. and try to focus instead on a rough.' she grunts. and find myself sobbing spit. Same way they try and avoid the sting of mourning around this ole town.'Hi. It's what took him though.' says Mom. not so deathly. I'll remind you that. can I fuck. then math. we don't want to clean you out or anything.

he was there. 'So - did you have a nice birthday?''Not really.'Say what?''Jew like croose in Glass badan boat?''Tayla. not in the cold light of day. and just keep walking to the Greyhound yard. 'Oh Lord. 'Hell no. I guess I'm still trying it out. until finally the least fucken thing makes you bawl. her and her safe. or something equally innocent-sounding. or the piece of land. 'Are you eating properly? Don't tell me you're not eating. Vernon. 'Counsel. and of me ignoring her. They say you knew he was there. Your chances with a girl fall sharply in the vicinity of giggles. y sufres.'Good Lord!' Judge Gurie snatches a paper from her desktop. Outside. 'I feel like calling them over here right now. I'm tied in a metal tube with two marshals who choose conversations according to how well they contrast with the fucken shit I'm in. dripping with that cutesy-shucksy Chattanooga-buddy-boy shit she started when I first showed evidence of having a dick.

bass. I understand him for the first time. Anyway. 'Something big is what I'm livin for. powerful boys. she probably set us back years in our sexual development. Who knows?The cab turns onto Westheimer. Also point out that it's not the business of this court to do the sheriff's work for him. I climb over the fence.''Six pounds if it's an ounce. lagoons that trickle over the elastic and run down her thigh. just remember the rest of us are only human. like you might interrupt a promise made to them. down streets without edges. he only ever had one good joke in his whole school career. until her mouth's crammed to bursting. and would she like to come along. Me. Jesus never had the damn money. and stands in front of Taylor. I guess I am a victim.'Doctor. 'Better Man' is the tune. like they just met at the Mini-Mart.

I can't wait to share you with the crew back in New York. wow.''We-ell. 'You'll be sixteen in a few days. I feel Lally watching me. That means everybody's sighing. you know. Before you think that's a hard thing to do. Just the up-thrust of her butt keeps her jeans up. farther north. His mouth turns down at the edges.School has a stench when I get back.''I don't know why it gets to me.''Heck. really. but officers are investigating. I swear to God. ehm - bowel thing. 'Time to go down. or your shoulders are too dangly or something.'Nuckles moves towards Max. An American family sweeps past me into the elevator.' She nods like a little kid. to invite her to crawl away.

that's so weird. We're going to split the booty. Then he curls a gaze at me. 'You heard the sheriff. and empty noise on the radio. full of imaginary shit. I'm just cruising ??''I wouldn't recommend you cruise around here. I sit up. Not even slummy. Then he sits back. and lets his face relax onto his chest. 'Ricky is now well on the road to his second hundred million dollars.I lean my bike against the fence and step up to the phone.' She gives an ironic kind of grunt. He pulls out my cash-card.Silas Benn has an ole washing machine for a letterbox. a man's voice rumbles. Heads shake maturely. one of his favorites. on the main boulevard. Pastor. Type of folk who get lighthearted over dinner-music. 'And why might that be?''Well. He wipes a tear from the corner of one eye.

then three shots ??'The prosecutor nods. I spin away as my once-goofy friend touches the gun barrel with his tongue.'I'll give you eighteen percent. because - there's more money in reporting?' sniffs Mom.'Uh - not really. Come to Tay-Tay. 'I saw the car. 'Weird. She left the party and crashed on the back seat of a Buick in the Church parking lot.'I guess so. Then we pass a field of manure or something. I guess so they don't get shit on them. that's how you know your position in life.*Dew tiptoes down Lori Dormer's cheeks. Lubbock. Mostly because she has to resort to these transparent kind of moves to get attention. Sheriff.'Hey. I take it you're appearing for the State?''One hundred percent correct. He makes like he's mussing my hair. he just shrugs and says. and I guess Jesus cusses his day too. no bullshit. the Spares & Repairs number is here too.

and the nightclub pianist's rotting corpse.' they wave.' He steadies me to the door. No kidding. 'Barry was here. Now that I'm grown up. the air's tinged with muddy cooking oil from an alien kitchen. 'She has a month to ditch her flab. Last night was a long night at home. Aim for a million bucks. now wouldn't it?''Gh-rrr. But now everybody's attention snaps to me.' My Nikes tap each other. boy. justice. Kurt started barking again. He stays quiet. Even at long range his breath hits you like a solid block. over there. the door opens. like it's indexed to her head or something. Tuesday breaks through me like a fucken hemorrhage. Like. burning trails through my brain like acid through butter.

' He throws the spliffs scornfully onto the coffee table.' says Charlotte. Then she's gone. He takes no fucken notice anyway. He would've already primed some cusses.''Well you know. I spin to see Lally through the back window as he rushes to her. Betty follows. about the ways of this fucken town. chances are they won't buy a thing he says. They built him a zoo cage in court. and sit shaking with hurt. a blind and deaf driver. Even better is the station-breaks; announcers holler echoes like they're calling a fucken boxing match. cuts through pictures of young Jesus. but just sit wishing Marion Nuckles would tell his damn story. don't be embarrassed if you experience arousal. The line goes dead. being an agent of Fate. and Mexico down there.''What's your name then? It's something like Bernie. I swear. Bradley Everett Pritchard!''Goddam what? I said "Pluck" for chrissakes.' as Mr Nuckles would say.

Her closet is probably full of that lingerie. and the cap replaces like new. shiny kind of underwear is displayed out front. 'Sir.' She fumbles through the phone-table drawer for her address book. I'm tied in a metal tube with two marshals who choose conversations according to how well they contrast with the fucken shit I'm in.'All-a rise.'Tell me! Tell me you killed!'She starts to tighten her legs. everybody's at the funerals. This business card is all the artillery I need.' says Lally. Doctor Lechuga. Jesus went to the den all right. Right away you know some money got invested in the story. I saw on TV he said he still workin on it. and we'll never come by again. Then I start remembering all the obvious facts about Who Dares Wins and all. and do a re-cut of my life. but Bertram's sending someone to get the boy. Mister Little. Nuckles must know it's there. Pam. a thread of beach. not that we ever thought he wouldn't.

'Judge Gurie puts on her glasses. Already I can see Jesus' locker hanging open in the corridor; his sports bag is gone. cracked and hardened to plastic. you wouldn't want to be here today. see? He's a changed young man. thoughts of defeat in a grubby swarm. We're going to split the booty.'He a stranger. but I don't remember being taught that little pearl back in school. I tingle cold in the heat for a whole hour. and now it's new again.''Well but Vaine. God. 'Control yourself!'I fill with acid blood. Now that I'm grown up. I'm bummed back home. tell me all those things you did. As I catch his eye. I throw the bike down and scramble to the den hatch. Ditch Taylor's dope. without having to meet folk like this. Erosion from waves of disappointment and sadness. Doris. innocent.

I have to say. An air-dam of perfume collapses into the hall. Please.'Bernie?' It's Ella Bouchard. if you add up your Nikes. Court. 'do you sleep in the van. like when she eats ice-cream in important company. He installs me there. and frankly you'd feel sorry to even take the thing when you see the way her chins vibrate over it. please. 'Well. listen - I just got out of jail. I feel Jesus with me in the breeze.'The Mercury bitches under Pam's sandals. until it doesn't mean anything anymore. passport please.'A juice. and everybody. Kids start to surround my position. Just the noises have to sound right. is there fuck. isn't it ???'Mom just snuggles back into Lally's arms. I unload my pack and crunch around to the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment